16

ALEXA

It was Sunday afternoon, meaning I had less than 24 hours before Andy up and left. I was happy for him, genuinely happy. That doesn't mean it wouldn't leave a gaping hole in my heart, but I would face that tomorrow. I didn't want to take up our last moments with misery when he was still here, sitting in front of me. Frank suggested I spend today with him because I would regret it if I didn't, and so far he wasn't wrong. That man almost knows me better than I know myself.

I looked around his room. We were both sitting on his bed, finishing up the remaining snacks stashed in various places.

"Did you run out during our lockdown?" I asked, referring to the various packets on the bed.

"Look, not gonna lie it got a bit close. I reckon another day or two and I would've." He snickered, shoving a handful of chips into his mouth.

"I'm gonna miss this. I'm gonna miss you. Who's going to bring me snacks now?" I sighed, smoothing out the blanket I was sitting on.

"There's gotta be another person in here who smuggles things in. You know, once I saw Ryan with headphones in, so someone had obviously smuggled that in for him. I reckon if you ask nicely he would share whatever he's got."

I shrieked. "Absolutely not. I'd sound like a snitch. 'Hey person I've barely ever spoken to. My friend who's no longer here once saw you with contraband. Show me what else you've got. This isn't suspicious at all.' Is that what I should say?"

"Hmm. It might sound a bit more legit if you dropped my name in there somewhere."

I laughed and shoved him, reaching over to him and snatching the chip packet from his hand.

It was moments like this that I would particularly miss. Andy and I hanging out, talking shit with each other with an abundance of banned snacks shared between us.

"Do you remember that time we were high and then we got all your snacks and took them to the rec room and started eating them there?"

"How were we not caught?" Andy laughed.

"We were though! We were on the couch and I think we had downed like two packets of something and there were others on the couch and then Jamie walked in, remember?"

He slapped his forehead. "Ohhh, how the hell did I forget about that? That was priceless. He, like, walked in, saw us, stared for a hot minute, and then just backed out without saying anything!" he roared.

"That wasn't even the best part though," I added. "Remember how the next day everyone was forced to stay in their rooms because someone had found all the packets in the bin and the nurses had to go through and check everyone's rooms for things that had been brought in? But because we had eaten everything you had in your room they didn't find anything so no one knew it was us! Now that was classic," I laughed so hard at the memory I was struggling to breathe.

"But Jamie knew! I can't believe he didn't snitch."

"You know what, I reckon he wanted to join us. That's why he didn't snitch. That, and because he was madly in love with you," I snickered before unwrapping a muesli bar.

"Jamie? No fucking way." Andy shook his head in disagreement, shoving some chips in his mouth, crumbs falling everywhere.

"Uh, yes! You do realise he's gay, right? He stayed there for so long because he was checking you out! How are you so dumb?" I was waving my hand around dramatically, muesli bar in hand.

"What? I'm leaving tomorrow and just now do I find out he's gay? He's cute, too. Oh man this is so disappointing."

I rolled my eyes, laughing. "You'll survive."