61

ALEXA

Sitting in the middle of my English class, my brain was slowly fading on me as the substitute teacher who was trying to compensate for not being our actual teacher droned on and on about essay structure. My eyes were glued to the clock, willing the second hand to speed up so I could get out of there. I would've done anything to be anywhere else.

Miraculously, my silent plea was heard from above - though it might have been to show me that my English classroom apparently wasn't the worst place to be - because a lady who I recognised as one of the people who worked in the office entered the room. All I felt was peace when she began speaking with the substitute, stopping him and his loud, booming, thick Italian accent from explaining a boring topic first thing in the morning. That was brought to a tragic end when she began scanning the room, her eyes landing on me tucked up the back.

"Alexa, can I see you for a minute?" she asked, although it was more a command.

My heart began pounding as it always did when my name was said like that: authoritative, and following it up with something that told you that you were fucked. I nodded and silently gathered up my things, trying to keep my breathing even. This was obviously about yesterday.

My mind was going over potential things they would ask me, like why wasn't I in class and where was I, the entire time I followed her down the hall to the office, the heels on her shoes making her steps loud, stern. I swallowed hard as she led me to the assistant principal's office.

She knocked twice before opening the door and ushering me inside in such a way that I felt sick to my stomach, almost like I was surrounded and there was someone behind me with a cattle prod forcing me forward unwillingly. Mrs Jones, the assistant principal, sat expectantly at her desk. Her gaze was making me nervous but I did my best to play an innocent part.

"Hello, ma'am," I said, my voice surprisingly steady.

"Please, sit," she said curtly, gesturing to the two chairs closest to me.

Choosing the one on the left, I sat on the edge tentatively, my back straight and hands folded in my lap. I held her gaze, trying to keep up my facade of being a good student- that is, if she would buy it.

"Would you like to tell me what happened yesterday morning? Between you and Calli." Mrs Jones asked, catching me by surprise.

"Oh," I said in a small voice.

My brain was so busy planning excuses for my absence, it took me a moment to register what exactly she was referring to. I had almost forgotten that was an issue in the first place.

Before I could say anything, there was a knock on the door before Calli herself entered, greeting Mrs Jones in a similar fashion as I had. She took a seat next to me, looking as sweet as possible.

Mrs Jones cleared her throat. "Care to explain what happened yesterday, girls?"

The briefest interruption of Calli entering the room had given me just enough time to come up with some bullshit that I hoped would pay off. It was stupid but it was the best I could think of under pressure.

"We were just messing around. We probably got a little carried away with it though," I said as convincingly as possible, the corner of my mouth tugging up for effect like we were friends and all we were doing was having a bit of fun.

"Messing around?" she repeated, giving me a pointed look.

I nodded, holding her gaze. It was time to spit some bullshit and pray it didn't contradict with what Calli had told her- if she had said anything, that is. But the fact she was also in here made me think that maybe not, which would work quite well. I knew Calli wanted to be a perfect student in the teacher's eyes, and while my actions were over the top, it was nothing compared to the abuse she and the top crew had thrown at me since my first day here, though somehow that was never reported or even noticed. But if I were to say that I was acting in self defence and she threw the first punch, her good reputation could go down the drain. Glancing over to her, I could see the fear in her eyes. It almost made me smirk knowing I had the upper hand in the situation.