Chapter 19: Crash

Hotch's POV:
"Sir, a letter came for you" Anderson informs me, "Thank you" I say and take it from him. "Who's it from?" Emily asks, "Well considering it's the 15th, probably Skylar" I say, "Who's Skylar?" Anderson asks, "A girl we rescued 3 months ago, she writes us a letter every month on the 15th because that's the date that we rescued her" Anderson nods and walks off. I turn to Emily as I open the letter, she smiles at me and I smile back. She flinches and rubs her stomach, "Kick?" I ask, "Yep" she says, I walk over to her and place my hand on her stomach, the baby kicks again and this time I feel it too. I smile and take my hand away, kissing Emily on the forehead. JJ walks in and pauses, "Sorry, am I interrupting?" she asks, "No Jage, it's fine" Em says, "New case?" I ask, "No, you can go home if you want" Emily lets out a sigh of relief and I laugh at her.
We walk out to the car, hand in hand. I open the door for her then walk around to the drivers side and get in. We drive home, stopping by the supermarket to pick up some food. "How far along are you?" the girl at the checkout asks Emily as she scans the food and puts it into shopping bags, "18 weeks" Emily says, "Well congratulations" she says, "Thanks" Em smiles and we take the shopping bags, heading back to the car. When we arrive home I take the shopping inside and put it in the kitchen. "Aaron?" Emily calls, I walk into the lounge, "Yeah?" "We forgot the bread" she says and laughs, "Oh... I'll be back in a minute, will you be alright here?" I ask, "Yeah, I'll be fine" she smiles at me as I turn to leave.

Prentiss' POV:
I sit down on the couch and turn on the TV; "Days of our lives" is on. I lie down and close my eyes, listening to the TV as I drift off to sleep.
I jolt awake, I sit up, looking around to see what woke me up, I can't see anything so I get up and walk in to the kitchen; a bowl has fallen off the bench and smashed. I look around, trying to figure out what could've made the bowl fall off the bench. I sigh as I realise that the window is open; the wind knocked the bowl over. I walk back into the lounge room and lie back down. I glimpse up at the clock. Aaron has been gone a while; he left 45 minutes ago and it only takes 5 minutes to get to the supermarket. "Maybe he just got caught up in traffic" I think to myself and look back at the TV. I start flicking through channels, stopping to see the news headlines. "The crash happened about 25 minutes ago. The first car was hit when another car ran a red light. The condition of the victims is still unknown" I look down at the headline at the bottom of the screen. My heart sinks as I realise that it's the intersection we always drive through to get to the supermarket. I race to the kitchen and grab my phone out of my bag. I dial Aaron's number and wait as it rings. I hear his ringtone and turn around to see his phone on the bench. I call JJ. "Hey Em, what's up?" she says when she answers, "Are you watching the news right now?" I ask, "No, why?" "Just... turn it on" I say as a tear rolls down my cheek, "Okay, just give me a sec" she says, there's a pause and then I hear the TV in the background. "The crash? Is that what you want me to see?". She asks, "Yeah" "Okay, why, Em what's wrong?" "Aaron left to go to the supermarket 45 minutes ago and he hasn't come back" I cry, "Oh Em, have you tried to call him?" "Yeah, but he left his phone here" "I'm coming over" she says and hangs up. I sit down on the couch and watch the TV. "The victim from the second car has been recovered and is on the way to the hospital, but the first victim is still in the car. The fire department is trying to cut him free as we speak, but the car was hit at such a high speed that it is hard to get him out" the news reporter says. There's a knock at the door, I get up and walk over, opening the door to see JJ standing there, "Em" she says, hugging me, she puts her hand on my back and leads my over to the couch. She sits me down and walks into the kitchen, returning with a box of tissues. We sit in silence for what seems like hours.
"Em" JJ says and points at the TV. I look up and listen to the news reporter, "The victim has finally been freed from the car and is now being rushed to the hospital. He's in critical condition, we will receive further information later" I stand up, "What are you doing?" JJ asks, "I'm going to the hospital" "Em no, we don't even know for sure if its him" "Yeah but what if it is?!" I say and start heading towards the door. JJ runs over and tries to stop me, but she's interrupted when the door opens. Hotch walks in. "Aaron!" I cry and hug him, "Em, what's wrong?" He asks, "You were gone and you didn't come back and I tried to call you but you left your phone here and then there was that car crash and I didn't know what to do" I sob, "Oh, Emily, I'm here now, it's okay" I lean up and kiss him. We continue to kiss each other for a minute before I pull back. "Emily, I'm so sorry" he says, wiping the tears off my cheek, "Where were you?" I ask, still hugging him, "I was on my way home when the crash happened, they blocked off the road so I couldn't get through and I left my phone here so I couldn't call you. I'm so sorry" "It's okay" I say, "I love you" he says and kisses my again, "I love you too" I say. He looks up, "JJ? What are you doing here?" He says, realising that JJ is standing there, "Em called me, she was really worried" "Oh okay. Well now that I'm back and we actually have bread, who wants lunch?" he says, "Me please" I laugh, "Oh me too, I'm starving" JJ says and we go into the kitchen for lunch.