Chapter 27: He Lied

A/N: Hey guys! I forgot to say this in my last chapter (sorry!) but I just wanted to thank everyone so much for getting me to 5k! It means so much to me, ilya xx ❤

*****
Morgan's POV:
"Babygirl, listen to me, nothing is going to happen you, or me. I won't let that son of a bitch get anywhere near you" "What about you?" she asks, I can still hear the struggle in her voice as she tries to hold back tears, "Don't worry about me, I'll be fine" I reassure her, "Hey baby, I gotta go, we're about to give the profile" I say, "Okay, I love you so much, stay safe" she says, "I love you too" I say and hang up. "Morgan, you ready?" Hotch asks, "Yeah, I'm coming" I say and put my phone in my pocket. I walk into the main part of Fredericksburg police station where everybody is already assembled and stand up the front.
"We believe this unsub, or unknown subject, is a white male in his mid to late 30's" Hotch begins, "He has a certain level of hacking skills that leads us to believe he has a job working with computers" Rossi says, "The items stolen were minor; cigarettes, alcohol and $100. At the time of the murders there was almost $1000 in both tills, so we know that the unsub isn't having financial difficulties, he's simply stealing when the opportunity presents itself" JJ says, "And lastly: this unsub has been killing in 3 day intervals, and so far he has been sticking to a routine, so we believe he will continue that routine, continuing to kill every 3 days" I say, "Excuse me, but doesn't that mean he's going to kill again today?" A deputy asks, "Sadly, yes" I answer. As if on que, a dozen phone calls come in, the sheriff answers one and looks at us sadly, "We got another one" he says, answering the question in all of our heads.

JJ's POV:
"Graham Thompson, 35" one of the deputies informs us when we arrive at the crime scene. I look around at the small gas station supermarket, looking for anything the unsub might have left behind. "Was anything stolen?" I ask, "Just $20" the deputy says. I look down at the shop owner; his eyes staring off into the distance, blood soaking into the front of his shirt. I'm about to walk off when I notice something; "Hotch" I say as I bend down to pick up the gun, "Something must have warned the shop owner to grab his gun before he was killed" I say, "Where was that?" Hotch asks, "Under the shelf near his hand" I say, "Okay, bag it as evidence, good work" he says and turns to leave.

"Excuse me, deputy, um" I say, trying to remember his name "Peters" he says, "Sorry, Deputy Peters, have you checked the security cameras yet?" I ask, "Uh, yes, we've already send the footage off to your analyst back at quantico" "Thank you" I say and walk over to the car where Hotch and Morgan are already waiting.

We get back to the station and head over to the desk where Spence is sitting, "Got anything?" Morgan asks, "Not yet" Spencer replies. I dial Garcia's number and put my phone on speaker, "What're you doing?" Spence asks, "I had a thought" I say and Garcia answers the phone, "Hey baby" she says, "It's not Morgan" I say, laughing, "Oh, uh, I knew that, that was meant for you Jage" she says, "I'm on speaker aren't I?" she asks, "Yep" I laugh, "Okay, so how can I help you?" "How many people in this area have had past jobs working with computers?" I ask, "Too many" she replies, "Okay, um" I walk over and close the door so only Reid, Hotch, Morgan, Rossi and I can hear, "Do any of them have a job in law enforcement?" I ask, "He manages to hit them directly in the chest every time and he must be quick to draw because he beat that gas station owner at taking the shot" I say, answering Rossi and Morgan's confused faces, "Um, yes, 78" "How many of them were first responders to the four murders?" "7" "Thanks Garcia" No problem, oh and Jage?" "Yeah?" "I never received that video footage" she says, "But Peters--oh" I say and hang up, "Peters told me he sent the security footage to Garcia for analysing" I explain, "But she didn't receive it" Morgan says, "Yeah, he lied". My phone vibrates and I pick it up to see that Garcia has sent me the files of the 7 people from the list. I scroll through them and stop when I find Peters' file. I turn my phone around to show the others. Hotch turns and leaves the room, so we all follow. "Excuse me, sheriff?" he asks, "Yes sir?" The sheriff asks, turning to face us, "Was Deputy Peters here when we gave the profile earlier?" he asks, "No, he was on patrol, why?" "Where is he now?" Hotch asks, "He's over by his desk" the sheriff says, "Thank you" Hotch says and turns to us, "We can't arrest him now, he has a gun if we try we'll be putting everyone in here at risk" he says quietly, "Just follow me back to the office and we'll figure out a plan". We follow Hotch back to the office on the other side of the station, as we walk past Peters' desk he jumps up and grabs me, I scream and he points his gun to my head. Everyone pulls their guns out and aims them at Peters. I try not to move, my heart is pounding out of my chest. "Put the gun down" Hotch says, "No" Peters replies, "C'mon man, you don't want to do this, if you shoot her you'll be gone in two seconds" Morgan says, "Who's to say I don't want to die?" he asks. He reaches into my belt and grabs my gun out, throwing it away. I close my eyes and a tear rolls down my cheek. He pulls back the safety catch, I start to sweat, panic building up inside me. "Don't do it!" Spencer yells and then the shot goes off.