Chapter 30: The Worst Morning

JJ's POV:

I sit on the edge of the bath, tapping my foot on the floor as I wait impatiently. Its been 2 months since I sprung the question on the Spence and I don't think I can wait any longer.

The three minutes is up so I check the test. I blink back tears as the test reads "negative". I chuck it in the bin and walk out of the bathroom. "Hey JJ, are you alright?" Spencer asks, "Yeah, I'm fine" I sniff, "Aw Jage, we'll get there" he says, pulling me into a hug, "I know" I whisper into his chest.

I turn around and grab my things, heading out to the car. When I reach the car I notice a piece of paper pinned under the windscreen wipers. I pull it out and unfold it: Hey Jennifer! It won't be long now, see you soon!

"Spence" I say, turning around, "It's started again" I hand him the note, fighting back tears. This morning just keeps getting worse and worse. He looks at it and hugs me, "Oh Jage, is there anything I can do to make this morning better?" He asks, kissing my forehead, "I don't know" I mutter and get into the car.

We drive to the BAU in complete silence. Spencer puts his arm around my waist when we walk in, pulling me closer to him. We head straight to Hotch's office. "Excuse me sir?" I say, walking into his office, "Yes JJ?" He asks, looking up from his paperwork, "I got another note" I tell him, "Okay that's four now, we need to look into this before it gets worse. Please call everyone into the round table room" he says and I walk out to the bullpen. "Hotch wants everyone in the round table room" I say and everyone follows me into the room. "What's this about?" Morgan asks when we all sit down. "As you all know, a while ago, JJ, Emily and Garcia all received notes from an unknown sender. We looked into it but were unable to find anything" Hotch says. I look over to see Garcia nervously playing with the hem of her shirt and Emily is picking her fingernails with one hand on her belly as her baby kicks. I sit in silence. "So what's going on then? Did you find something out?" Garcia looks up, hopeful, "No, I'm afraid not, but this morning JJ received another note" everyone looks at me and I can feel my face turning red. "What does it say?" Rossi asks, "Hey Jennifer. It won't be long now, see you soon" Hotch says, "Okay so what first?" Spencer asks, "I want all the notes tested for fingerprints, then Reid, these notes are all handwritten so I want you to analyse the handwriting. Garcia, check the security footage from the time that Andersen was handed the note" "But sir, I already checked that" Garcia says, "Yes I know, but I want you to check it again" he says, "The rest of us, we're going to compile a list of people who might have something against the girls, JJ and Em, you are going to help us". Garcia and Spence leave the room and the rest of us huddle closer, ready to take down this guy.

Reid's POV:

My mind keeps wandering from what I'm supposed to be doing. I try to focus on analysing the handwriting but my mind keeps going to JJ. She looked so heartbroken after taking that test. I just don't know how to make it up to her. "Okay Reid, focus" I think to myself. I look down at the handwriting. It's neat, each letter formed perfectly and evenly spaced apart; which means that he's calm, he's not panicking or angry. He's written each letter out by hand instead of typing it, so he either doesn't have access to a computer, or he's trying to make it personal. "Reid" Garcia says, walking over to my desk, "The tests came back positive, he left prints" she says, "Are they anywhere in the system?" I ask, "No, so either this is his first time or he's never been caught before, which means he might be more skilled than we realise" "Okay, take them to Hotch" I say and she leaves.

I look up at JJ through the window; she looks really stressed. I still can't think of how to make up for the terrible morning that she's had. She sees me looking at her and smiles at me, I smile back and get up to get a coffee. I grab her a coffee too and head to the round table room. "Oh, thanks Spence" she says, "No problem" I say and kiss her forehead. "How are you going with the analysis?" Hotch asks, I hand him my notes and he reads them, "Good job" he says, "Did Garcia find you?" I ask, "Yeah she did" he says, giving me a look of: This is worse than we thought.