Chapter 38: Cat And Mouse

Rossi's POV:
Hotch puts the sirens on as we speed down the highway. Morgan and Reid took the other car and they are close behind us. We swerve around traffic as Hotch puts the pedal almost to the floor. A car swerves in front of us and Hotch slams on the brakes, honking the horn before continuing. I look behind us to see Morgan and Reid falling back a little bit. They catch up again and we keep driving.

Garcia's POV:
I carefully run my fingers over my cheek, feeling the swelling from every time he hit me. There's a loud bang and I sit up straighter, waiting to see what will happen.

He walks over to JJ's cell and opens the door. I hear JJ whimper as he enters her cell and grabs her. He walks out of the cell and leaves, holding JJ by the arm. "Em, what's gonna happen to her?" I ask, "I don't know" she says quietly, "Has he hurt you?" I ask, "No, he was waiting until he could get you and Jage, and he said he didn't want anything to happen to my baby, but he calls it our baby" she says, "I'm sorry" she adds and I sniff, "It's not your fault, and I'd rather you're safe than having to go through... that" I shiver as I remember what he did.

Unsub's POV:
Electricity pulses through me as I run my hands over her small frame, feeling every perfect curve and her thin waist. She shakes and I step back, "Why won't you love me?!" I scream, "Because you're a freak! You kidnapped me and my friends! You sent us creepy notes talking about our personal lives! That's not going to make me love you! I will never love you!" she screams back and I glare at her, fighting back the pain that those words brought. I impulsively step forward and slap her face. She holds her breath and her eyes start to water. I realise what I did and immediately feel bad, "I'm sorry my love" I say, putting my face a mere inch from hers, "I'm not your love" she says harshly, "You will be" I say and put my hand on her thigh. "Get off me!" she yells but I ignore her. I start edging my hand higher. She holds her breath and I move my hand away, putting it on her slim waist. "You're too skinny, you need to eat" I say and turn around, grabbing a plate of food. I turn back to her and scoop some onto a fork. She purses her lips together and refuses to eat it. "Okay darling, maybe later" I say and put it back on the table. I turn and face her. Suddenly I am unable to control myself, I lean forward and kiss her, she doesn't kiss me back but I don't mind. She struggles to get away but is unable to because of the restraints holding her up by her wrists. I pull back and she's crying, "Oh, darling, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you" I say and untie the binds on her wrists, ready to take her back to her room.

Rossi's POV:
I can see the old hospital up ahead. Hotch gives me a look to say that he's seen it too. We turn off the highway and down the road, screeching to a holt outside the hospital. Hotch and I jump out of the car, closely followed by Morgan and Reid. We pull out our guns as inspect the car. SWAT pulls up just as we give the car the all clear. They ready themselves for entry and we split up; Hotch, Reid and Morgan go with SWAT into the hospital, and I'm left with two SWAT agents to inspect the shed. We creep closer to the old shed and I am suddenly aware of the eerie silence. I walk over to the door and try to open it but it's locked. This is supposed to be Morgan's job I think to myself before I yell "FBI!" and kick down the door. I point my gun at a messy looking man who immediately puts his hands up. He looks at me and I can see the fear in his eyes. The two SWAT agents walk behind him and start going through the things on the floor, checking for any weapons. "There's a sleeping bag, $100, some tins of baked beans and drawing, looks like a kid has done it" one of the agents tell me. I look the man in the eye and realise, "Do you live here?" I ask, the man slowly nods and I lower my gun. "I'm sorry to alarm you. Would you mind coming with me to answer a few questions?" I ask, feeling guilty for disturbing this man's night, "Okay" he says and slowly lowers his arms, following me out of the shed.

I wait with the man - who I now know as George - for Hotch, Morgan and Reid to get back. They walk out of the hospital, closely followed by the SWAT team, with solemn looks on their faces. "It's empty" Hotch says, answering my pending question. He looks at George and frowns, more than usual, "He lives in the shed" I say and Hotch nods, "I'm hoping he can answer some questions for us" I say and Hotch walks over to us, followed by Morgan and Reid. "George, these are agents Hotchner, Morgan and Reid" I say, pointing to each one as I say their names, "We are sorry for alarming you and disturbing your night but we're hoping you can answer some questions about this car" I say, pointing to the rental car that the girls were taken in. George nods and Hotch begins with the questions, "Were you here when the car pulled up?" Hotch asks, "Yes" George answers, "Did you see the person that got out of the car?" Hotch continues, "Yeah, he had two girls with him" George says and Reid and Morgan look at him, "What did he do when he got out of the car?" Hotch asks, "He opened the back door and pulled one of the girls out of the car, the shorter one, and then walked around to the other side and got the other girl, she was wearing really bright clothes. They both had blindfolds on and the smaller girl tried to take hers off but he slapped her hand away. I thought they were having a bit of fun until one of the girls started crying. I ran out of the shed and started going off at him but he held a gun to my head and told me to shut up. Then they got into another car and drove off" he says and I frown, "Another car?" I ask, "Yeah, it was a small silver car" "How long had it been here?" I ask, "Not long, a few days" George says and I look at Hotch, "He must've swapped cars knowing we'd have the other one on camera" I say, "Yeah, he's smart" Hotch says "It's like playing a game of cat and mouse" I say and sigh. I hate being behind this guy.