Memories

So the fact that I have Malik's entire life decided was super shocking. I could have sworn he was mentioned before last chapter. Anyway, please enjoy and I hope more updates come. Loves!!

Sang

Glimmering brown eyes suddenly dim as I can do nothing but watch in horror. Memory after memory assault my mind as I read through the mission details. This is only supposed to be an observation set up but there's a chance I can take him out I will. Checking the coordinates and all of my weapons again I finish preparing. There won't be any mistakes tonight. Malik's killer will be brought down if it's the last thing I do.

Grabbing my emergency cell and leaving my regular one on my side table with anything that could be traced back to me. This is one of the amazing things about not existing, no one will find me if I don't want them to. On the road to my building in the correct area of town I actively shove memory after memory away. I don't have time to deal with this right now. Once I've taken Volto out I can. You've said that for the past year.

Parking my car in a supermarket lot three blocks away I grab my go bag and set a calm steady pace. Luckily my bag passes as a large purse so I don't even have to worry about any strange looks from passers-by. Forcing myself to breathe calmly I take in the dirty windows of an old warehouse. The south end of Charleston is better than the north end but that doesn't mean it's good. The sound of cars passing is the only thing I can focus on as I enter.

Making my way around the entire warehouse I ensure that it's as empty as it should be. Technically, Marlee Chinta owns this building but she's just another me. I lend this out to the Academy frequently as they need it. The last people to use the space held a self-defense training class here. Some of the practice dummies and blunt weapons are still lying around.

With a centering sigh I trace my fingers along the edge of a wall that is slightly discolored from the others. When I hear a click I pull my hand back and watch as the wall slides over with a metallic grinding. Letting myself into the room I haven't seen in a year I flick on the light. Small amounts of dust flurry through the air as I disturb the space. Memories assault my mind too quickly to push them back.

Curly chocolate hair flops onto my lap as we watch the cameras. His infectious grin spread wide and bright. "Sang, it's okay to take a break." Letting my hand skim through the hair in my lap I don't let my focus waver. We have to catch this guy. I have to protect the people Volto threatens.

Blinking the burning in my eyes away I push through the stillness that presses in like an anvil. Laughter rings through the room as Malik tosses a ping pong ball off the back of my head again. Checking the wiring to ensure all of the technology is in working order I click on all six monitors. They see outside of this building and the outside of another familiar building. The moonlight shines off of his ebony skin. "Be careful in there. I can't lose my brother." White teeth glisten back at me. "I mean it Malik. I can't lose you."

The sun reflects off of window after window. I still have a few hours before anyone will leave the office building that is used as a meeting area. Breathing deeply I take in the stale taste and musty scent of the air. Pine and lemongrass fills the air as Malik comes bounding into the room. "I did it! I passed the Academy test, I get to go undercover with you next time!" Going into the attached bathroom I have to pause as my heart stops. An old bottle of cologne sits discarded on the counter with the top still off.

Grabbing the bottle I clutch it close to my chest. Lemongrass and pine fills my nose in a painful cacophony of Malik. It's just different enough when not on him that I'm able to push through instead of collapsing in on myself. "She's so nice Sang. I can't believe she said yes to a date with me! Do I smell okay?" Going through everything I need to get ready is a trip through Hell I never wanted to take. That doesn't stop me though. If this is how I'll catch the bastard then this is what I'll do. Pain be damned.

The next few hours pass by in both moments and years. Everywhere I look something reminds me of the family I had. The brother I failed. Blood splatters on the floor as hit after hit is landed on the face I comforted after nightmares. Every second is spent getting ready, checking the cameras and ignoring the pain in my chest. I can't afford to be distracted, we haven't had enough security watching this building to know exact patterns right now. Anything can happen. "You're an expert Sang. We'll be fine."

Once the sun has set and the building looks to be empty I grab anything necessary and make the short walk to Graphters Inc. Watching everyone closely I move to the old back door. The electronic blocker in my pocket is taking care of all the cameras in the area. Slipping on polished leather gloves I disable the mechanical lock and click a device onto the lock space. After a few seconds a click is heard and the door opens the device having overridden the electronic alarm in place.

Quickly slipping inside I cautiously and silently go down hall after hall putting cameras and audio recorders in hidden nooks. Every office gets covered as well as meeting rooms. I make it through three of the four floors before anything happens. Hearing footsteps coming from down the hall needed I slip into an empty office. Making my way over to the heavy wooden desk I hunch underneath.

The door clicks open and a light flashes over the top of everything. Clasping a hand over my mouth I silence my breathing, I can't get caught now. Keys jangle as the light gets closer. Gasoline and mint invade my senses as heavy boots come into view. Don't look down. Don't look down. With a deep sigh the feet retreat. I wait a solid minute after the door clicks shut before I move.

When I finally go to leave I'm stopped again by the sight in front of me. A picture on the desk of a man who looks exactly how I picture my father stares back at me. His arm is wrapped around a short, young brunette as two boys only a few years younger than me, if not my age, stand as bookends. Rage sears through my veins at the pleased look on his face. What right does he have to happiness after everything?

Giving myself a harsh mental shake I pull away from the picture and go to finish my job. The final floor is taken care of with no further issues. Leaving the building is just as simple as getting in. No sign that I was ever there and no sign that anything has changed. A small part of me is disappointed that I didn't run into anything useful tonight. If I could have taken care of this Malik might finally be avenged.

Back in my hidden room I finally allow the memories to flood my mind. Every sense I have is engulfed in everything Malik was. His laughter. His warmth. His smell. His careful freedom. Everything that made Malik who he was is a glowing memory trapped inside these walls. The fact that no record of his brilliance exists is what finally causes tear after tear to fall. I'll get him Malik. I'll take out every single person involved. I won't let you be forgotten.