Iron

Hello Hello loves! I hope you guys enjoy(?) this chapter. It's a bit dark but well... that is this book lol. Loves!!

Sean

My mind races through everything that the file in my hand holds. The face of the friend I lost haunts my eyes and what this means. Somehow Sang is connected to Malik and I'm not sure I want to know how. Gabe watches me cautiously from the bed. "Sean you said this was the reason Phil didn't want Sang taking the case. Should we even be reading about it?"

Closing my eyes I breathe in and out a few times. "I have to know what happened to him. No one would, or maybe they couldn't, tell me what happened." With a cautious look Gabe nods his head. Together we start to read about a person and a mission now gone.

Malik Redding- Status: Ghost

REDACTED- Status: REDACTED

Mission: Infiltrate and take down VOLTO drug and trafficking ring. Suspect has a known meeting location at Graphters Inc. REDACTED has a building in that area set up for surveillance. REDACTED has been on this case for three years. VOLTO has been running rampant and caused many teen deaths. VOLTO is known to have been distributing at different high schools, suspected start at AW.

Report: Status-failed. Malik is dead. VOLTO escaped. Minor injuries sustained to REDACTED. His mission partner has requested all information be rerouted to them. Body was never recovered. PHANTOM is on the case.

Many items have been removed from case file upon presentation to Phil Roberts due to close contact with the deceased, and PHANTOM.

The world spins a bit. Was Sang a part of this mission? Could she have been there when he died? Why didn't this mention anything about his family? Did Malik not have a team? I know he at least had a sister, was she ever told of his death? Was she Academy? My mind races with all of the information when Gabe takes the file away from me.

"Doc, how does Sang fall into all of this? Was she the other person on this mission?"

"That's all I can figure." Running a hand over my face I once again wish the rest of our old family was still around. Victor's skills would be useful right about now. "We need to know who she is." Gabriel meets my eyes and nods firmly. Hesitantly I continue with my thoughts out loud. "Do you want to try and contact Victor or should we just try the Tomas? I know Corey is really good as well."

Gabe flinches slightly at Victor's name but we both freeze as another voice joins the room. "Vic. We need them, we need all of them but we should start with Vic." My head whips around to see Luke swaying lightly in the doorway. His cutoff sweats sagging from weight loss and his skin looking paler than just a few minutes ago. Standing I move to have Luke sit down when his words register in my head.

The slight rasp in his voice due to lack of use rips a hole into my already torn soul. Looking imploringly to Gabe I see him nodding in agreement with a pained face. "I hate to say it Doc but what could it hurt? If he says no then that's all there is to it but I miss them. Nothing will ever be the same sure. I still want to be able to talk to them though."

With a sigh I nod my head slowly. Looking at the two boys I still have as family I hold tightly to the last shreds of my sanity. If both of them want this then I'll call Kota and see if Victor can take a job. A heavy iron ball forms at the base of my chest prepared to drop heavily into my gut. Mustering up a wane smile I give the boys a nod of understanding. "I'll call Kota as soon as I'm home tonight."

Luke heads back to his room a moment later and I can't help but feel as though I failed him. I'm doing what he wants, I'm trying to do my best by both boys but nothing seems to be working. Luke is a ghost of himself, swallowed by the darkness within. Gabe is a bitter ball of fury, he's going to burn into nothing if I can't figure out a way to pull him away from the edge.

As if feeling my thoughts Gabe comes up and grabs my shoulder in an iron grip that somehow remains soft. "If everything about Sang checks out remember what I said. It's okay to like someone new. I think we all know he's never coming back." Pain sears through my veins as I actively push tears and memories away. "I know it's hard but I promise Sean, I promise it's okay to like her."

Clearing my throat I push a cocky smile onto my face. "When did you get so wise Gabey?" He scoffs at me before shoving my shoulder away. Wrapping my arm over his shoulder I squeeze tightly for a moment. "Thank you." My voice just a bit softer than before and the feeling of tears once again pressing against the back of my eyes.

A few minutes later I'm sitting in the front seat of my car staring at the ring connected to a silver chain on my neck. I should have taken it off ages ago but haven't been able to. Even now the inscription etched along the interior in purple doesn't let me. We write the rules. Tears begin leaving tracks down my face as I shove the necklace back under my shirt. It takes a lot of effort to push the hell inside away but once I do driving home is easy.

Oce home I take a few moments to slip into my Academy persona. It isn't until I know I'm in full control of my voice and emotions do I finally dial Kota's number. One ring, two, three when the dial tone finally cuts out I half expect to be sent to voicemail. The iron ball in my chest is getting denser and denser when he finally speaks.

Kota: Sushi

Sean: Eyebrow

Kota: What do you need Dr. Green?

His monotone coldness lanced through my severed heart with exacting precision. The iron ball clenches slightly as it grows cold.

Sean: My team required assistance with a matter. Would Victor be able to help?

Kota: Send me the details and I'll get back to you on whether or not this is possible by tomorrow.

Sean: Thank you

*End Call*

Tears flow freely at the click that resounds in my ears. If I hadn't already been seated on my couch I would have fallen. The ball in my chest drops with a deadening pain as my heart lurches in my chest. I don't even try to push the darkness away this time. I let the dark consume me knowing that what needs to be done will once I fall out of knowing.