Helping

You know that super awkward moment you post the chapter to the wrong story? Yeahhhhh anyway lol. Try to guess the teams! They're already set but I want to know what you think and you never know I might like a different combo better lol. Please enjoy. Loves!!

Sang

Mallory Jones- deceased age 17 with evidence of recent child birth. Suspected foul play. Cold Case

She looks so much like me. My fingers trail over the picture again. I've been searching for hours now and I have to stop. It's time to go on the mission for Uncle. I don't want to though. I want to keep looking into this woman. I need to know if this is my mother.

With a sigh I put everything away and head out the door. I can look later tonight. The information sent to me shows the building is only twenty minutes away from the hospital so I can park there and walk. That way I won't risk having any vehicles traced back to anyone. They wouldn't be traced back to me since I don't legally exist but maybe to someone I know.

A short walk later and I'm approaching the accounting firm. It doesn't look like much from the outside and the security seems to be minimal. A fire escape ladder winds up the side of the building but I decide to go in through the vent by the dumpster. Less chance of being seen this way. I carefully unscrew the vent before shimmying inside.

I don't run into any problems along the way and quickly find the CEO's office. I was told the book would probably be here in one of the bottom drawers. I see a camera in one corner pointing to the desk. Pulling out what looks like a straw I blow in one end and it adheres something to the lense of the camera so no one can see anything.

There is a guard on duty so I have to work fast in case they notice. I drop down from the vent as silently as possible and slip over to the desk. The bottom drawer is locked so I pull out my kit and get to work. It only takes me a few seconds to get in. Once I have the drawer unlocked I make sure to lift the bottom so it doesn't scrape along any edges.

A large brown and black book sits in the bottom of the drawer. When I lift it out something shifts inside so I know I have the correct book. Just to double check I flip the front open and see Taylor inscribed along the top edge. Awesome. So far so good. Now I just have to get out.

I quietly close and relock the drawer before climbing back into the vent. The metal makes a small noise while I climb up. Just as I'm pulling the grate back into place the office door starts to open. SHIT! I slide my body as far back as possible with my fingers still holding the cover in place. They aren't sticking out but this is still risky.

The guard peaks his head in and scans the room a couple times. He pauses on the desk before going and looking underneath. When he doesn't find anything he leaves. After I hear the soft click of the door I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. That was way too close for comfort.

I make it back to the hospital without further incident. Uncle is waiting in Phil's office with Phil himself when I arrive. They're talking about some mission they went on together a decade ago so I just sit back and listen. These two were a trip and a half. They got into more trouble together than I do. I love to use the stories I know against them when they start talking about me being reckless. Dudes I've got NOTHING on your shit.

With a final chuckle they turn my way. "Hey Gumdrop. I'm glad you made it back. Everything go okay?" Uncle looks tired and more than slightly haggard. He's got at least two days worth of a beard that doesn't look purposeful as well as deep circles under his eyes. I decide not to tell him about the almost run in. He looks like he couldn't handle the stress well right now.

I nod my head to both men and hand Uncle the large book. "I'm glad I could help." Phil and Uncle share a look before Phil looks back at me. Nope. No. Not a chance. I know that look. I hate that look. This is the look I'm given when they know I won't like something and I never, never have a good time when given this look.

"Sang. I need your help."

"With what?"

"We have a group of people that are a family. They used to be a team but things happened. We need them back together. Without each other they're a mess and keep failing missions." Uncle looks at me pleadingly and Phil seems resigned. How can I tell these two no? Answer, I can't.

With a sigh I lean forward. "How many teams?" Uncle's tired eyes brighten and a smile passes across Phil's face before he pulls out five thin files and two thick ones. Oh shit, this is a lot. My eyes widen slightly at the sight and Uncle lets out a humourless laugh.

"There are three teams and one solo dog." He points to one file. "This one here is the past file of when they were a team together. The rest of the smaller files are about them separated." I glance at the two thick files and Phil looks at them sadly as well. "This file is about their final mission as a team. It isn't good and brace yourself when reading it. The last file is about the basic past. This was a very unique team in both size and background. You need to be aware of certain issues when going in."

I nod my head and reach a shaky hand towards the files. I've never been this nervous over a mission before so why am I now? "This is extremely important and coming from the entire Academy board." That would be why. I feel a slight sweat across my forehead but I try to keep my face calm. I can do this. I grasp the files and pull them towards me.

Uncle stands and wraps his arms around me. "Thank you Gumdrop. This means more to me than you could ever know." Why? Does he know these people? He has to, right? After only a few more seconds Uncle releases me to take his seat again. Phil looks at the files sadly again.

"I hope you can help them Sang. If you can't then I fear they might have to be cut from the Academy. We can't let them keep getting hurt when they're apart." I nod my head and tell them both that I'll do my best. With wane smiles shared all around I head out to my car. Looks like I have a lot more studying tonight than I originally thought. I hope I can do this.