I Promise

Hey guys!! I'm so so sorry for the delay but finals then depression. Life happened and now I'm starting to get my shit together. I hope you guys like this. Loves!!

Sang

"Nice to see you again Bubbles."

"I truly wish you wouldn't call me that." The millimeter like smile on his face gives away his true feelings though. My eyes roam over his once perfect face. Noting every new line and shadow. He adjusts his glasses and sits down across from me. The circles under his steely eyes are more pronounced than I've ever seen them. "What can I do for you today?" Draining the rest of my drink I watch him look over his shoulder carefully.

"How are you Owen?"

His gaze cuts to me in shock before he masks this. Running his hand down the front of his tan sweater I watch as Owen Blackbourne surveys everything around us. "I'm perfectly fine. Why do you ask?" I watch him carefully as I slide the folder about his old team across the table. Flicking through the file quickly Owen clears his throat and reaches to adjust his nonexist tie. "I see you have an old file. Why do you need my assistance for this?" Unlike himself in so many ways, Owen won't look at me. The man before me is only a fraction of the one I remember.

"I need to know what happened, Bubbles." I try to keep my voice calm and even but I'm not sure I was successful. Owen gets a misty look in his eyes before clearing his throat and meeting my eyes. The unnerving ability to read all of my thoughts isn't as strong as it once was. Maybe because I know more but most likely because he's hurt. Whatever happened to this family tore all of them to shreds.

"I don't think that's such a good idea Love."

"Try me."

"I've been over this with the board before."

"I'm aware. I'm also aware that you like me much more than the stuffy board." A dry, humorless laugh escapes his lips. "I wouldn't be asking if it weren't important and you know that." Owen nods once at my statement before looking around everywhere again. Reaching out I place a finger on his hand that is resting on the table. "We can go somewhere else if you'd like." After a long moment of thinking Owen shakes his head softly.

"I'm fine here. It's a very long story that I'm not sure is entirely mine to tell. Especially without knowing why you're asking." Leaning my elbows on the table I watch a dozen thoughts cross his face. What he has to tell me is going to be very difficult for him to get through. Glancing around us I note all of the smiling and forlorn faces. Everywhere you look someone is having a different type of day than we will. They need the present while I'm rooting through the past.

Standing I push in my chair and grab the small amount of trash. "Follow me." Owen looks at me slightly bewildered. To be completely honest I'm not sure where I'm taking him yet. There are quite a few places I could go but I want it to be private. If I'm going to be asking about a painful piece of his past it has to be somewhere that no one will come looking for me in. A lightbulb goes off in my head and I turn at the next corner, Owen right behind me.

Weaving through the hallways in a seemingly random way I take us around to another hidden gem I've found in the hospital. While the room I showed Lynus was the first and my favorite, I've since found a couple others. Ducking into an exam room that never gets used I shift the book shelf to the right slightly and lead Owen into a half door. He gives a small grunt of surprise but doesn't hesitate to follow my lead.

Flicking a light on I motion Owen forward so that I can secure the door. He's still partially crouched so I quickly move us further inside so that he can stand to his full six foot height. My eyes scan everything twice before I settle into one of the many bean bag chairs present. I haven't been out to this location in months but it doesn't look like anyone else has either. "Have a seat if you would like."

Owen's eyes take in the room from the twinkle lights to the blankets with slight amusement. "I never knew this existed." A smirk plays across my face as I shoot him a quick wink. Pulling out my phone I tap into the sound system and play a soft piano piece as background noise. I want this to be as easy and comfortable as possible.

Leaning forward I meet Owen's eyes making sure to keep all of my expressions soft. "What you find out here does not leave here until I give you the go ahead, understood?" His thin, pale fingers smooth down the front of his sweater again as a slight alarm crosses his eyes. Eyeing me up and down Owen gives a short nod. I trust him to keep his word and if he doesn't then I'll find out.

"I've been asked to look into your old team. None of you, and I do mean none, are doing well. Missions are being failed, people are getting hurt and that's not even talking about the personal strain. If I can't get all of you into working order then the higher ups will be stepping in." I don't tell him everything but surely that's enough to convince Owen he should tell me what I need.

He roughly scrubs a hand through his brown hair and looks in my eyes. I keep my face open and honest until the pain in his eyes falls to the background slightly. "I'm not sure how much this will help. The past is the past, the hurt is already in place." Smiling softly I nod but remain silent. After a long moment I see his resolve harden. "I'll do it. I'll tell you what I can, just promise me something. Promise to help them stay safe. Every single one of them is my family."

"I promise Bubbles." I just hope my promise is enough.