Fate and Death

"I ran as fast as I could, shifting into my wolf, escaping the borders in the middle of the night. I had studied the borders and guarding arrangements, managing to find the loophole," she said her eyes closed, head leaning backwards a if trying to rest.

I was listening attentively to her monotone voice which seemed it could falter any second. "Have some water," I said as she stopped. I could see the tears on the brim of her eyes. What was so painful that she couldn't even talk about it? Filling the glasses I handed it to her.

Taking the glass she sat upright and drank the water. Turing to me she continued, "I had been betrayed; my own mate who I thought loved me wanted to take control over my land or raze it. I had heard his plan to kill Arthur's mate, making him the only legitimate royal to rule. I had to tell Arthur the truth so he could save his mate, even if it meant he would kill mine."

"Why was he such a monomaniac about controlling our kingdom?" I asked. Cedric was already a king, what was the reason of his obsession. As far as I could remember, the book had some mentions of his childhood being bad but there weren't any details.

"Envy, his emerald eyes wanted to everything it saw in control. There are only two royal bloodlines which are considered suitable for ruling. Our bloodline has been blessed with the possibility of having an ability to see possible future while there's have greater physical strength. But this was not so in the case of Arthur and Cedric, being the two princes of the same age, they were constantly compared. I was left out of the picture despite being their age too. Actually Cedric was very weak since birth, his mother was also very ill when she had him. After his birth she soon passed away. Cedric was neglected from the beginning, his father tried his best to ignore him, in some way people blamed him for his mother's death. Cedric's elder brother was the apple of everyone's eyes while he was the invisible sibling."

"Why wasn't the elder brother throned as the king?" I asked as she drew a heavy breath in, it felt like I was listening to a bed time story.

"He never found his mate," she said, her voice low as she looked down.

"Was it due to him?" I asked slowly.

"No, it couldn't be him," she replied instantly, it seemed like she was almost defending him.

"It's okay, I trust you," I said reassuring her lightly touching her shoulder with my hand.

"Actually I don't know, I am not sure. But I have never seen him respect anyone except his brother," she said as she closed her eyes again and took a deep breath. "I still remember when I first saw. We were young and I had no idea he was my mate," she said her eyes looking into mine, there was a sadness that was hidden in her outer expression. "It was the Red moon event."

"Red moon event?" I wasn't really interested in how she met him but it would be better to not push her more and make her comfortable.

"It's a swordsmanship event," she said as her eyes gazed towards the window through which daylight seeped. There was a faint smile, maybe it was a good memory. "I still remember how he sat under the tree, reading a book, ignoring those raging fights of bloodshed cherished by warriors. I wanted to talk to him but he seemed too keen of a scholar, we were studying the same book on poison concoction. He had lost from Arthur during the competition, walking down of the podium with his head down, he never looked up, not even at his father who wasn't disappointed, he just seemed like he didn't care and was talking to someone else. I guess it was his habit of studying that helped him research another method of finding mates."

"Did you reach Arthur when you escaped?" I asked, reverting her back to the original topic.

"According to my vision, I did. I saw myself telling Arthur everything, immediately he went to father. At the moment our army was weaker than theirs, immediate retaliation could only end in loss but the whole army was mobilised and the council of Alphas was called to investigate. By the time I had escaped, Cedric had already killed Arthur's mate. A turmoil was caused by the allegations, most of the Alpha's of even the Cedric's kingdom were shocked and demanded investigation. The relationship of the kingdoms were amicable before, thus waging a war solely on my words couldn't be agreed upon. A trial was held. Cedric had already made sure of getting rid of substantial evidence after my evidence yet I had his research papers. There was also an incident of a woman's
disappearance. I was sure of winning and escaping from his clutches. He was not a person I had loved, he had turned into a vicious flame of hate."

"Did you win?" I asked, it was easy for her to win, maybe it was something else that happened.

"I didn't. Rather than defending himself he told that I was the one wrong who was doing all this just to take over his throne. I was not a popular Queen, I had always actively participated in administration despite the protests of affluent Alphas. I was regarded as too ambitious of a woman as it didn't fit well with them to listen to my orders. Only few Alphas like Beatrice's father who lived near our kingdom where woman had more powers supported my decisions. At that time I knew I had a life in me and I wished to protect it from Cedric but I never thought he would be able to use even this against me."

___________________________________

Don't forget to vote.

Also thanks to everyone who is reading, we could only come this further because of you people who read and motivate me to write.