Toxic

I could feel the discomfort on her face, her voice grew deep, the one which occurs when you're on the verge of tears. Sympathetically I took her hand, lightly placing it mine and asked, "Are you alright?"

She nodded and then rubbed her eyes. "You can say that I am more angry than sad," she said looking at me. "I remember the vague remarks just put to justify that I could be capable of plotting against him-'too ambitious, not the way a queen should behave.' Even after everything, I was not more than a powerless Princess, a doll but I had forgotten that."

It was a mix of anguish and pain, the sole reason she wasn't being recognised was her gender. The most heinous crimes are often defended on the statement of the moral character of a woman, it is nothing but an excuse to hide the filth of prejudice in their minds. A sinner could even cite the holy text to acquit himself, his depravity hidden under the robe of assumed virtue. "How did he accuse you?"

"He said that I wanted to dethrone him and gain power as the child's guardian who would rule in his place. His accusations couldn't actually be justified but it was the inherent bias they held, made the alphas think I was guilty. He then innocently pleaded in my defense that I was suffering from stress of oncoming motherhood and how my inner subconscious desires were influencing me. He asked for me to return to him and how he was willing to forgive everything for his love."

"What the heck is this?" I asked almost pulling out my hair, "how can they accuse the victim of the offence without any substantial proof but the words of the defendant."

"He was a king, a man, an alpha. I was just a powerless Princess, a woman who was had a lower status. I was myself foolish to think that I would be set free with a little evidence, our nation was weak against him and they were patriarchal who gave women a lower value."

"What happened then?"

"Arthur was angry, he didn't wish to send me back but we had no choice. Waging a war invited only defeat and casualties, we needed time and evidence. It was at that time he he decided to send his trained spies in with the information of I had given about some secret routes."

"It means you went back to Cedric?" I asked looking at her with my mouth agape and she nodded. Was the person who killed he was Cedric?

"Strangely enough, he acted like nothing had happened and treated me the same but it was just a cover. Maybe it was to show everyone that I was the wrong one," she said burying her face in he hands. She looked up and took a deep breath. "You must take this to your grave."

I nodded back.

"Arthur had secretly started preparing the army and his spies more and more. He had promised that he would bring me back. He was waiting for the perfect evidence to strike, he wanted to only punish Cedric and not the people by just dragging them into the war. He wished to play by the rules but he lost all his rationality when he found her."

"Who?" I asked almost excited forgetting that this could have been a tragic reality.

"His mate but dead. His spies were able to trace back to the clue I had given but it turned out that he had already killed her. Everything was unraveled, he had found records of his experiments to find mates through blood and scent even when far away. He had found the scent of his mate Cedric had stored. His wolf jolted in pain as he inhaled the scent for the first and the last time, the scent of his mate."

She looked down and drank a glass of water. At this moment I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

"A war in which he only saw his bloodthirst and revenge began. He went berserk and gathered everyone to fight for his revenge. He didn't even care about losing, killing was the only thing that could calm him down and despite the larger army, Cedric was losing to him. The alphas who had earlier accused me tried to side with him but he had forgotten mercy, he wished to kill everyone. It was death, a slaughter."

Her voice broke and I patted her back, she literally saw an entire movie in her vision. "It's okay, take a deep breath and calm down."

"I still remember my last days," she said in a hoarse voice. "I watched people die around me everyday waiting for Arthur to save me. Arthur was winning the war, Cedric's soldiers had started betraying him. His army was approaching, it was at that time I was stabbed by Cedric's subordinate as being my mate, he couldn't harm me himself. I laid in my own pool of blood trying to survive when I saw Cedric coming in with a smile, looking down at me he just said, 'you're finally free my mate.' Those were my final words before death," she said this and closed her eyes, her heat leaning backwards, tears ran down her eyes as she tried to control herself.

I stood up and bent to her level, wiping those tears off and she leaned into my arms. "I am sorry," I said holding her. She had tried to change the fate, her death and war. I still wanted to know how she disappeared and what were the rumours of her death in the current reality but I wanted her to rest, to console her and lighten her pain.

"I will help you," I said pulling back. Maybe this was the only way.

She nodded and looked at me with teary eyes, embracing me again, whispering in my ears a low thank you.

_____________________________________

This isn't the final suprise(◠‿◕)

Don't forget to vote.