Inner Wolf

An old woman entered the room with the alpha behind her. She had long grey hair and grey eyes and looked like someone with a lot of experience. She was carrying a bag and was observing me carefully.

"Leave," she said in a low raspy voice as she walked towards me, observing from top to bottom.

The alpha walked out but Beatrice didn't even flinch. "I won't," she said.

I smiled inwardly at her words, she had my back, it gave me some warmth even between the unfamiliar faces.

"Lock the door and tell me where's the mark," said the old woman as she came and sat beside me touching my forehead and taking my other hand, her finger pressing the vein.

Following her instructions Beatrice climbed up back on the bed being just behind and said, "On her back."

What was so special about a claw mark that another doctor had to see it? It felt weird to be checked by two people in a single day.

"Lie down, I need to see it," she said and proceeded to support me as I laid down on my stomach so that she could easily see me. I felt the soft fabric slide up as she raised the loose tunic I was wearing.
Her hand slowly circled around the wound, relaxing my body. Suddenly she stopped and I saw her opening a vial in her hand.

"Ahhhhh," I screamed as she poured the liquid without any warning. My hands clutched the bedsheet as I hissed in pain, my body felt like it was on fire, burning my skin with it.

"What did you do?" I heard Beatrice ask loudly as I saw a blurry image from the tears in my eyes. She had her claws out and her body heaved as she took heavy breaths, I could hear her growl at her with darkened eyes.

"She was given the silver poison," the women said without any sign of fear.

Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped as she looked towards me. "How can this be possible? You are lying," she stuttered. She trembled and lost all her courage vaporised.

"I have no reason to lie," replied the doctor and Beatrice just collapsed down on her knees. A tear rolled down her eyes as her hands shook. I couldn't move from the pain to support her.

All I knew was that silver is harmful for werewolves but seeing her reaction something felt amiss.

"I am going to put another herb and tie the wound," said the old woman as she took a cloth out from her old pouch like bag. "Try not to scream in my ears," she said as she wetted the cloth with some other liquid. I braced myself for the pain biting my lips as she eyed me that she was about to begin.

"Uhhh," I hissed muffling my scream with hands. I couldn't bear it as the crushing feeling rattled my brain and bones. I lost the the control of my body as energy had been drained out of it. I felt limp, my head started getting heavier and heavier. I lost consciousness wishing I would return back.

"You... don't."

I could hear someone shouting as I slowly tried to open my eyes. I wished to see the ceiling of my room but it was yet an unfamiliar place. I blinked several times times in vain, I was still in weird world where the white hair was probably arguing with the Alpha.

"She isn't even supposed to be alive!" said the Alpha.

"What do you mean by I am not supposed to be alive?" I said getting up slowly as I squinted my eyes in confusion. I was still uncomfortable and the girl rushed to support me. Her face was reddened and tear stained, she looked at me and asked if I was okay.

I slowly nodded and asked, "What are you talking about? Why am I supposed to be dead?" I was alive, not in my own body but alive.

"Someone had poisoned you. Who was the person that attacked you?"

I turned to Beatrice, the person who treated me as her friend in this strange world to see if she approves of me telling that I don't remember anything.

"She doesn't remember anything," she said in a hoarse voice.

"What!" said the alpha looking at me in disbelief.

"She didn't even know her name," said Beatrice her eyes fixed at the doctor for help.

"You are the alpha's daughter, try to mind link with her wolf," he said as he put his hand on her shoulders making her face him.

"I can't, I can hardly sense her wolf. I thought because of the numbing potion her wolf was blocked but I still can't sense her," she said averting her gaze, shrugging her shoulders to put him off.

"Is her wolf there?" he asked getting down to get eye level.

"I don't know." She hiccuped and breathed in, wiping her face with hands to subdue her emotions. "How is this possible? Will I lose her again?"

"She is right here, breathing. Stop crying," he said getting up and moving away

"The silver only affects the wolf," said the old woman.

"But one cannot live without their wolf," he argued, running his fingers through his hair in frustration.

"Maybe that is why she has lost her memories," said the old woman. She sat beside me, leaning closer looking into my eyes like she wanted to see into my soul.

"You mean that she's alive but her wolf is not," he said, breaking her eye contact. I sighed in relief as she got up again. There was a strange feeling which crept in my gut, an unexplainable fear.

"Those who die by silver poison don't die due to silver but from the pain of their wolf being dead," she said approaching the Alpha. "Calm down, she won't die as her body has survived through the pain. Scars will remain but she will heal."

Everyone was looking at me as if I was a ghost. Couldn't they be happy that a person was alive?

"A rogue can't have silver poison," he said.

"I don't know about you but in my pack no one can have silver poison," said Beatrice angrily.

"Nor do we sell this on the streets. Making it is a crime with death punishment," he snapped back at her.

"This is something that can only be made by orders of the king," said the doctor.

"The only king who will do that is none other than the dethroned coward of moon kingdom," said the alpha.

"It can be your master too, Alpha," she said with a grimace, her breath flared. The sadness was replaced by an anguish, a need of reason and revenge.

"Don't cross your boundaries!" he retorted back.

Two people fighting over me, a wish I thought would never come true. But I never wanted to make it happen in such a way.

My shoulders were already drooped and eyes half closed. Maybe it was the effect of the medicine but I only wished to sleep. This whole drama was too much for me. Why was I even here? I closed my eyes and laid down ignoring both of them.

I had to think about everything, my past life and my current situation.

________________________________________

Don't forget to vote.