An escape

I waited for Estelle while feasting at the cookies. Sometimes I felt like a middle-aged woman who gossiped with her friends at tea time. Maybe it was our twisted and wretched fates that had brought us close, I soon went from hating her to liking her. To me she seemed pitiful, but stronger than me in bleak circumstances. Everyday we could only wait for information about the Arthur's progress.

"Leave some for me."

I looked and saw Estelle walking in through the open door and sitting beside me. "I will," I said turning. "Remember you're the one who has been staying at my pack."

"I guess you're getting more familiar with everything."

"Maybe," I said rolling my eyes. "Any news?" I asked pouring her a cup.

"You know Arthur's gonna win," she said munching on the cookies.

"Still, I am worried," I said handing her the cup. "I have a question."

"What?" she asked taking it.

"Why didn't Arthur completely wipe him out in the first war? Why did he give the throne to his brother?"

"He was looking for me." She took a sip and kept the cup down. "When I disappeared a thorough search was done but I had hidden in the forest with rogues. It's a tricky to reach there and only few know of it. Some thought I was dead by a rogue attack, some were suspicious which included my brother. He knew a rogue couldn't have killed me, he couldn't believe the false evidence I had planted and I knew it. It was then he started using spies, his tactic was similar to the vision I had seen but this time he didn't have the location I had given. This time he didn't go mad at the sight of his mate. He wanted to find me."

"You could have stopped the war by going back? Didn't you do all this for your people?" I asked baffled at all the information.

"I could have returned but everything would have been repeated, without me they couldn't have blamed anyone else."

"But..."

"I still needed time. It was like her death was destined to happen. You must have read it in the book that I left because I wanted to stop Cedric from killing his mate but in truth, he had killed her before I could do anything to save her. When I came to know of her death, I started looking for ways achieve the ability to see a longer vision."

"So it means you can't always have such long visions into the future?" I asked looking at her, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"If I could, I wouldn't have married Cedric in the first place," she said with a plain face, as it was something I could have guessed. "I can only get short visions randomly, sometimes they don't even make any sense to me. It is said that one can get an elaborate vision only when a big catastrophe is to occur and only once. Arthur's madness and end of the royal bloodlines was the disaster."

"Did you see what happened after your death too?" I asked. My tea had gone cold but I couldn't have just taken it, I was too invested and it would have looked weird. This seemed like a story but it was the reality I had to live in.

"A little, Arthur had become a tyrant from the loss of everything. There was nothing that could be done, he was wretched from all the pain. He had no heir to pass the throne as no royal with a mate was present. What remained in people was the tension and fear from his rule. With no royal bloodlines, many were preparing to take over the throne this had led to the strictness in his regime."

I didn't know what to say, I just nodded.
"It means Arthur was looking for you not his mate?"

"He was at first looking for me but he soon found some clues about his other plans. The war was raged under the reason that Cedric was trying to harm his mate but he also wanted to find me as his spies couldn't. He didn't know that Cedric had killed his mate this time as the clues I had given him were hidden. He had to stop because he couldn't find me. The Alphas of the kingdom who were losing and were suspicious of his intentions had appealed to father. Father, being the king asked him to stop, he knew that Arthur was trying to find me but things had gone too far, any more deaths would have harmed both the sides. Without the throne he couldn't use the army, he was only the prince. Arthur decided to dethrone Cedric and keep an eye on him because according to him he was involved in my disappearance."

"So Arthur was waiting to take over the throne so he could find you again and a valid reason to wage a war again?" I asked my face resting on the palm of my hand.

She nodded in affirmation. "This was the reason Arthur took you in. Now that you're here, I won't have to worry about the future of the kingdom. Arthur can stop looking for his mate and be at ease."

"You know," I said leaning back, "you should be the ruler. Aren't you the person with more powers? If I were you I would have resigned to the fate."

"My gender doesn't allow that," she said sighing.

"We can start a movement for our rights," I said getting up excitedly as the thought flashed in my mind.

"Seriously? What are we going to do about the council of Alphas?" she said dismissing my idea.

"Beatrice's father is different and so can others be. Arthur is the king after all," I said nudging her.

"They will think that we are trying to impose our traditions on them. Our worlds are different, it will take time."

"How did you bring me here?" I asked almost too suddenly, it already had been on my mind and as she reminded me of our different worlds, the words left my mouth.

_________________________________

Don't forget to vote.

Thanks for reading.