Truths

Time was passing but my state of mind was in a standstill. I just couldn't understand what I was doing. Was it wrong or right? Was it okay to lie to someone when they only loved you till the truth was out?

"May?"

I turned towards Estelle. "What is it?"

"You seem lost. Are you okay?" she asked as she sat besides me on the bed.

"Nothing," I said blinking. "It took a long time to reach the capital and I am just exhausted after meeting everyone, my family, your family and people I don't even know–"

Someone was knocking at the door and I sat upright while Estelle got up to unlock it.

"I was looking for you," said Arthur stepping in.

"I am coming, let's not disturb May anymore," she said.

"What is it?" I asked getting up immediately.

"You should rest–"

"Cedric is in the interrogation and he is asking to meet you and her," said Arthur his gaze piercing through me. I was aware of the dichotomy of his personality but it still instilled fear in me.

"He is not dead yet?" I asked almost stuttering, looking towards Estelle.

"As much as I wished to kill him there were still things I had to investigate," he said.

I gulped I had no response. There was one thing about Arthur I admired, intelligence.

"I will go meet him," said Estelle her gaze continuously flickering between Arthur and I. "It's dangerous for May."

"He is imprisoned within a jail of silver. No one can harm her as long as I am there."

"But–"

"I would like to go," I said. It was better to face the situation rather than escaping it.

"Let's get this done secretly in night. At day all eyes will always be on us," said Arthur strutting away. I and Estelle followed. My legs were wobbling both from fear and sitting in the carriage. My hands felt as cold as the night wind which blew in bleak midnight. It would have been better if he was dead but now I could replace him in any moment. It was hard for me catch up to his pace yet I plodded behind. At this point I felt like everything Arthur said before was a disguise to lure me in here or maybe he is still suspicious.

"Stand back," he said stopping in front of a wall on which hung a giant portrait of someone pretty. He moved the portrait sidewards pushed back the seemingly hard wall which creaked open like a door. I stared at the dark path which lead into complete blackness. Picking up the wooden torch hung at the side Arthur lighted it from a lamp.

In the orange light of the amber we walked down the stairs which seemed endless. The area looked familiar to me. The underground dungeon. I gulped failing to calm my palpitating heart, the images of chains and weapons vividly flashed through my mind. Turning right the small alley like way expanded into a room. Arthur lighted the other lamps of the room and at the farther end was now visible. A shining jail where sat a figure.

"You're finally here, Estelle."

"Cedric." 

"Seems like you have gotten better at lying but you're still naïve."

I clutched my dress in my hands distorting it. Arthur moved closer to the cage and tip toed using him like my shield.

"Is she your mate Arthur?" he asked staring at me. He didn't posses a strong build like Arthur rather he looked weaker than him. Chained, bruised, covered with scars; he was still smiling as if amused by the situation.

"Arthur we shouldn't—"

"You have only wasted your blessing. Look at you, are you not afraid?"

"Shut your mouth before I do it for you!" I looked towards Arthur who was full of rage.

"Aren't you too afraid of the truth?"

"Speak the truth then."

"Arthur, he is only misleading us to save himself," said Estelle clutching Arthur's hand to draw him away.

"Well you asked me to shut up. I am happy to oblige."

"Stop it Estelle, I am here for you. He will speak or he will die today."

"I have no will to live anyway. Death is my salvation. It is a wretched world and I wished to be freed."

"You were the one who made this world wretched. You are a murderer," said Estelle.

"Isn't your brother one too? He was the first one to wage the war? He did it for you, because he thought I had killed you."

He sat with complete confidence with no guilt of sin weighing his soul or body. He was manipulating us.

"You tried to kill his mate," said Estelle angrily.

A smile was spread on his face as he looked at her. What was he trying to do?

"Isn't she here? Alive. The one hiding behind Arthur."

"You were the one who poisoned her," said Arthur. "If you don't have anything to say then you might as well rot here until you make up your mind."

"I tried to kill one person and you sent an entire army killing hundreds. Who is the greater sinner here? Estelle, how many could you save when you knew the murderer is your own brother?"

"Stop talking!" Estelle shouted. "Who knows how many people you would have killed if you took over our kingdom."

"You know you're such a waste of blessing given by the goddess. You never actually faced any hardships, thinking love can change everything you only embraced your ruin."

"You can't justify your actions by blaming us," growled Estelle.

"Who says I am? I was just doing what I was always told. I am indeed better than him. I never plunged my people into a war just because someone my own was being hurt. You both know this very well."

"Arthur, let's leave. He is not worth talking to," said Estelle.

Arthur turned away without saying anything. Cedric's gaze met mine and he raised an eyebrow upwards with a smirk on his face.

"May let's go," said Estelle clutching my elbow taking me away.

"How long will you lie? How long will you hide? When the truth is out how long will you survive?"

I looked back at his words, he was still staring at me. I knew I was at his mercy. He was enjoying it, watching it with pleasure. How long will this last? For how long will I survive?

__________________________________