Weak

The sun rays lighted the long rows of books that seemed to stretch endlessly in the long rows of shelves. A stair was present to take the books from the higher one's. Thankfully there was a librarian who adhered to my request of suggesting books on gaining knowledge of this world. Of course, what I had got was not a story book but a heavy history book which most students dread and I even I  couldn't easily comprehend it as I skipped the pages relating to brutal wars and throne succession orders. As I skimmed through the depressing pages, my thoughts started to venture into another section.

Arthur didn't come for breakfast or lunch, it's not like I wished to see him but I had to ask things. My attendant was with me all the time but she only spoke when I asked her anything. Her name was Clove, there was something strange about but it's not like I had servants caring for me before so I could be sure. Another amiss part was that there were only few workers looking after this huge place as if purposely kept few to avoid any intrusion or to hide something. According to what Clove said, this was the separate palace of crown prince. Maybe he had kept me here secluded to avoid any trouble. He must be living in the main palace, this was why he hardly came.

I was reaching out for a book when I heard footsteps of someone approaching me.

"There's someone who wishes to meet you."

It was Arthur's voice but I didn't turn to. While flipping the pages of the book I said, "You are already standing in front of me and by my knowledge I don't think that anything here happens from my wish."

"You did well," he said taking the book from me and checking it out.

"History of The Empire, is rather a heavy subject and this book lacks explanations" he said taking out another book from the shelf and giving it to me.

"This would be better."

"Why did you say that people might suspect me and I have to put up a show of being in love with you?" I said keeping the book on a side table near me. I wanted to know if I could trust his parents or not.

"To prepare you for the act and I am happy to know that you listen to my words," he said with a wicked smile.

So he just wanted to check how I would obey him but acting in the dark would only be dangerous. I needed to know more of this place to make sure of my safety.

"I have no choice but I want you to be more clear to me. Why are you willing to even make a wrong person your queen?"

"Tomorrow there will be a public declaration from the main palace and we'll have to address the people gathered in there. You just have to act like you don't know anything and show them how pitiful you are."

He avoided my question so easily, the only things he told were the one's needed for my act. He was surely hiding his true motives, I remember he said something about revenge when we first talked. Did he want revenge for attacks on his mate or just the throne ? Everything was overly confusing, layer after layer things were hidden, what I knew was the tip of the iceberg.

"I have appointed a personal guard for you. She will be here soon," he said while turning around to leave.

"Where is Alex, my original guard?" I asked and he only said, "Your new guard will inform you about it."

He walked away without saying anything further and I was left alone without any answer. He surely wanted to control me by placing all his people around me.

I sat down at the chair near the side table in hopes of getting my thoughts aligned with my situation. For now I would just do as he said while looking for more information about silver poison.

The original owner of this body died from silver poison but somehow I am here in her place. What could have brought me here? I have read about silver poison but which book it was?

"May, I am here."

Who was May? I looked up and saw Beatrice standing in front of me.

"Beatrice !" I said standing up.

"You look too shocked. Are you not happy to see me?" she said with a smile.

"I am happy and I really missed you," I said, my lips curled in a smile automatically on seeing a familiar face. Though I knew her for a very short time but she was the only one who stood by my side. She was someone the original owner risked her life for so they must be very close.

She pulled me in hug and that was when I feel something hard against my chest. I look down realising that she was wearing an armour.

I pulled back and asked in suprise, "Are you the one who is going to be my guard ?"

She took a step back and got down on her knees, taking a sword out she said with her head lowered, "Grant me the honour my lady."

______________________

Don't forget to vote. Thank you so much for reading 💜