|33|𝓒𝓵𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓪𝓲𝓻

I FINALLY MAKE MY WAY to the lake

I FINALLY MAKE MY WAY to the lake. It had been fifteen years since the last time I came to this lake. It was fifteen years ago that I had lost all hope that my dad would ever return. I had promised myself all those years ago that I wouldn't come back here, that I wouldn't put myself through that torture again and yet here I was returning to that one place that held the best and worst memories of my childhood.

I don't know how or when I decided to come here. Maybe I felt like this place would help me process everything that had happened. Just when I thought I was moving forward in life, just when I thought I could finally let go of my past, I'm mentally thrown back fifteen years. Doors that I had sealed long ago now opened and I didn't know what to do with it.

As I sat on the same bench that once used to be my happy place, it didn't make me any better, it just made me angry and so so sad it felt like my heart was being stabbed a million times all at once. This whole situation was just wrong. Silas, my father, the man I once looked up to had abandoned me and to make it worse he started a new life without so much as a glance back —it was all wrong and simply hurt like a bitch. My throat tightened and tears pricked my eyes — I felt like my twelve-year-old self once again. I look up to the clear blue sky as I try to blink away the tears.

"Hello," someone says. I look to my left where an elderly man stares at me curiously.

"Good day," I say politely, returning a small smile.

"It's good to see someone else come here," he says as he throws bird food onto the grass where many pigeons surround him.

"What do you mean?"

"I've only seen one man come here in the last ten years I've been saying here," he says and I know he means this very bench because there are other people around the lake. "Which is funny because you look just like him," he continues. The man chuckles to himself, "at least a very young look alike. Those same green eyes, perhaps your father?"

"I doubt that. Coincidence maybe. My dad never came back here from what I know," I say more to myself than him.

"Maybe," the man says before he carries on walking his route, the pigeons following closely behind him.

Could it be? My fath—Silas, came here? But it doesn't make sense. Why would he come here and not see me? It doesn't make sense.

"Mind if I have my seat back?"

I look to my right where Silas stood. His coat and tie also gone. His hair much messier, he looked wrecked and what seemed to be apologetic. I register his words after a while. When he and I used to come here, he always sat on the right and I on the left —always. Reluctantly I slide to my side.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, surprised by the lack of anger in my voice. I look straight ahead into the lake in front of my while he slipped into his seat. After a moment he replied.