𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 1

"You are to speak only when spoken to and sit as well as stand up straight at all times. Do you hear me miss lady?"

I nodded.

"Magnificent!" She turned me to the mirror, "Beautiful aren't you?"

I nodded again.

"Why are you being so silent munchie?"

"You said I could not speak."

She slapped my hand with her fan.

"Ow! Mother!"

"I said you could speak when spoken to baby," she sighed and put her palm to her head. "How will you ever acquire a husband being like this?"

I smirked when she wasn't looking.

I didn't want to marry. What did I look like trying to be tied down at such an early stage of my life? Men would only stop my adventures.

She looked up and I wiped the smile off my face.

She sighed, "You don't want to go through with this, do you munchie?"

I grabbed a donut and put it to my lips before she took it out of my hand.

"Lessi, no eating. It'll make your dress explode and you want to look your best!"

"It's one donut, mommy," I whined.

She gave in to my puppy eyes, "Fine, one. Afterwards, you meet us in the grand hall. Capeesh?"

I nodded and she left in a hurry.

I put three donuts in my mouth instead.

Rebelliousness.

• • •

I started walking to the grand hall and my older brother came from behind me, "They do not have you wearing that."

I rolled my eyes, "Uglier I look the better for me I suppose."

He poked me with his elbow, "Oh come on, I'm playing. You look amazing munchie."

I gagged, "Don't call me that."

He shook his head, smiling, "Mom is something else. I can't even breathe in this suit."

"Did she tell you to work on your posture too?"

"Not really, no."

"Favorited much?"

He shrugged, "Listen... honestly, I think it's best for you to do this."

"Excuse me? Not you too," I walked faster and he grabbed my arm, stopping me in my tracks.

"Look. We can make a bet. You meet someone you might like and I get your candy stash-"

"Not happening."

"Or..." he continued, "You find no one and I'll dance around in the castle in nothing but underwear which will make dad beat my ass."

I snorted, "Alright, prepare to lose."

We both dapped on it and he smirked, "I never lose."

• • •

I walked up the steep steps and sat in one of the golden chairs. My dress felt tighter than ever.

My mother slapped my lap when she caught me slouching and I sat up immediately.

My brother pursed his lips together and my mother eyed him, "Enrian, hush."

He cleared his throat, "Yes ma'am."