𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 18

"S-she's dying?"

"Yes, we must hurry back if you wish to speak with her."

I started to shake, "I haven't spoken to her fully since the day she fell ill."

"Princess," I heard that familiar accent utter, except it came out much more deeper and serious than usual.

I looked up to see Uvin reaching out a hand for me on his black horse. His eyes had lost the softness they once maintained.

"This isn't the place to weep. We must go."

I nodded, and he pulled me up by the arm onto his horse.

Adonis bowed when I caught his eye and I gave him a small smile, before wrapping my arms around Uvin's torso, crying into his back.

• • •

I ignored Uvin's hand to help me down, and hopped off the horse yourself, running towards the entrance.

I tripped over my dress countless times and the guards tried to help me, but I pushed them all aside and proceeded to the medical room.

I was only worried about seeing her face.

I slammed the door open and saw my father on one knee, holding my mother's scrawny hand. Enrian was crying on the other side of her, burying his face into her shoulder.

My uncle, however, stood in the corner silently with his head held down. His son was nowhere to be found.

"Munchie..." she whispered as she saw my figure in the doorway.

She looked so frail. What had happened to her?

"Mother..." I blinked back the tears in my eyes, slowly walking over to her.

"Hi, my love," she smiled.

"W-what has been going on with you?"

Her eyes began to shut. I could tell she was trying her hardest to remain alive. "Nothing munchie, mommy just isn't well..."

I tried my best not to stress her anymore. I was just so sick and tired of these secrets and being left in the unknown.

We both have had our fair share of diverse views, and an even greater portion of full-out arguments, but nothing could out-measure the love she had for me and the similarities we both acquired.

"All of you...be good for me," she smiled, and her hand started to shake in my father's.

My father couldn't see her, and I couldn't see his eyes through the blindfold, but I knew he was hurting more than any of us, even if he didn't produce tears.

"We will," he told her.

"You all damn well better be. I will walk out of my grave to whip every single one of y-" she started to cough and my father immediately stood.

"I-I'm fine, just a sneeze," she said beneath her breath.

Enrian held her other hand and she smiled, looking at each of us closely one last time, "You all have been so wonderful."

I held back my tears as a lump formed in my throat.

"I love you Enrian, my funny handsome boy," she smiled, running a hand over his tear stained cheek.

He sobbed harder and she smiled, looking over to my father.

"I love you Adon...I couldn't have asked for a better husband."

He stiffened and nodded.

She looked over at Oridan, who hadn't made eye contact with her throughout it all.

"I love you Oridan...please tell Iven I love him too."

He bowed.

She smiled, "And my sweet munchie..."

I shook my head, trying to contain my screams.

"I love you, and I always have."

"I love you too mommy," I whispered as tears started to roll down my cheeks.

She held both her hands out, and her voice started to leave her, "Everyone...gather around."

We all placed our hands together and she closed her eyes.

"This is family..." she whispered, "We bear each other's dreams, help each other out in times of need, share each other's pain only to heal and make anew...and most importantly fight side by side, but only with love in our hearts."

I started to shake and my heart began to crumble.

She smiled and her head slowly tilted over, "Do not tear each other apart."

My voice cracked, "Mom..."

Her fingers loosened around my hand.

"Mom!!"

My father pressed his lips to hers as she took her last breath and the nurses started to rush in behind me.

"The queen has fallen!" the messenger announced.

Enrian fell to his knees and I tried to push past the medics, but my uncle grabbed me off my feet.

"Let me go!" I shouted and cried.

Why did she have to leave me now?
I didn't get to show her my dream.
I didn't even get to say all I wanted to say.

My uncle placed me on my feet when he reached his office.

I immediately fell to my knees, grabbing at his cape as my heart continuously ached. He got on his knees with me and brought my head to his chest.

"It hurts so much uncle," I wailed, shaking even more than before.

"I know," he whispered, and I felt his tear drop down to my shoulder, "I know..."

He wrapped me in his cape when I had fallen asleep from the heavy crying, and carried me to me room.

Adonis looked back at him and his eyes widened when he saw me.

"Take good care of her Adonis. I know my niece, and if she's crying this hard, there's not much that can stop her next move."

Adonis bowed and signed, 'I have already devoted my life to her.'

My uncle placed me on my bed, taking off my shoes, "I expected nothing less from a knight like you."

He sighed after a moment, "Auria is dead, so you know what this means, I'm supposing?"

Adonis nodded and stared at me when my uncle left. He had never felt so sad for someone before.