𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 44

(warnings...)

● ● ●

I ran along the tops of the wooden poles that were stuck in the endless pit beneath me.

Balance was child's play now.

I cartwheeled with my hands tied behind my back, and landed directly on the platform.

Adonis sliced the rope off my wrists with his sword and I held the flag up in the air, looking down at the cheering knights.

I had been training hard for five whole months and would be setting sail tomorrow at the rise of the sun.

Adonis and I tried to keep distance from each other every night during these long durations so that I could focus on one thing only: Turning myself into a warrior. Now that everything was coming to a close, I could thankfully sleep next to him again.

My uncle got up from his knee. I've been defeating him more frequently and he couldn't have been more proud.

I was blossoming into the best fighter they had ever known.

● ● ●

"Letter," Oridan said as he walked into my tent, unannounced.

I placed my shirt over my breasts, taking the envelope from him, "Thank you."

"When will you take my offer?"

I looked at myself in the mirror, "I don't believe I'm ready to be captain yet."

He sighed and walked over to me, starting to untwist my hair, "You need to quit jumping into water for no reason. You know your hair is hard to maintain."

I pouted.

"Want to cut it?"

"It's illegal for a woman to do so uncle Ori."

"Yeah, and it was also against the law to let you join the royal knights, and look at you now."

I looked at him through the mirror to see he had given me a small smile.

He did so more often and it made him brighter.

"Think on these things," he whispered and squeezed my shoulders, before attacking my jaw with his lips.

"Stop it!" I giggled.

He backed away, "Join us soon."

I nodded and waved him out.

I opened the letter, which read:

Hi, butterfly. Hearing you're thinking about making the biggest decision of you're life yet again. How do you do these things with a level head? I am quite jealous. I am also quite gloomy as of late. I know you've told me to find someone, but I cannot move on from your mother. I had promised myself to her even after the absence of her life and I aim to fulfill that. I miss her as much as I miss you, and unlike her, you do have the ability to return to me. When you do, I'll be waiting for you. How are things so far? Have you been getting enough rest? Please tell me they've been feeding you. If not, do not hesitate to write to me of these issues and I will rid them all of their heads. I love you. Keep gliding butterfly. And remember...win.
- Dad

I smiled and kissed the paper before setting it onto the corner of my desk.

"I'll do my best for you."

● ● ●

I watched the knights dance in a circle surrounded by torches, running my fingers through Lionis's hair as he sat at my feet.