𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 37

(might be some sensitive content...)

● ● ●

I woke up, finding that my head had been placed on Adonis's lap. He was staring down at me intensely.

"Hi there," I smiled.

He nodded in response and covered me more with his cape.

I rose up and sat between his legs, laying back on his chest. He was so comfortable to relax against.

I heard a loud snore and saw my brother, laying back on the edge of the wagon with his mouth wide open. He had lipstick prints all up his neck. Iven was silently reading a book beside him, and I could tell he was getting irritated.

"Goodmorning princess," a soft accent came from diagonal of me.

I smiled and looked over towards Uvin, "Morning."

I suddenly remembered something and gasped, looking around for the necklaces Gloria had given me, "Oh crap. No, no, n-"

Adonis held them in front of my face.

"Oh," I sighed in relief, "thank you."

Uvin rose an eyebrow when I gave him one of the pendants.

"Gloria told me she wishes you farewell, and has always thought of you like a brother."

He smiled and placed it around his neck, "I'll miss her strict tendencies."

"Me too..." I whispered.

The ride came to an abrupt stop and we all jolted forward.

Enrian shook awake, "I want my mommy!"

I held in a laugh and Uvin turned pink.

A knife was thrown right in between Enrian's legs and he covered his privates, "The hell?!"

"Shut up. We've got company," my uncle said.

He hopped off his horse and went over to me to force my head down, "Duck."

"Goose," I giggled.

He thumped my head with his thick fingers. The impact felt like a brick.

"Ow!"

"Behave," he said below a whisper.

We all laid flat on our stomachs and I heard my uncle talking to a man, "I'm going to need you and your friends to hunt somewhere else. You're blocking my path."

"Are ya talkin' back to me nigger?"

"Pardon me?"

I lifted my head to see a man in a straw hat with a wheat strand in his mouth. He had other friends with him that looked rather similar, but the thing that struck me most was all the people of my skin binded by shackles and chains.

They looked so deprived and distressed.

I almost cried at the sight.

Was this what the world was like outside?

"Ya sound educated, are ya a free one?"

"Do you know who you're questioning?" my uncle spat.

The white man started laughing, and almost insulted my uncle again, until he saw me peeking out of the wagon.

"My, my...she's a pretty one, dontcha think Dan?"

The chubbier guy beside him nodded, "Indeed. How much for her?"