𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 29

I die...? By Adonis...?

Or was my death simply before his eyes?

Iven frowned at the look on my face, before bending over to slap his knee, laughing outrageously. "Look at your face!"

I blinked and shook out of my thoughts, "Excuse me?"

"I was kidding with y-"

I grabbed him by his ponytail and dragged him towards the door.

"Let go! That hurts!"

I took him outside and let go of his hair.

He started to fake cry and shield his eyes, "The liggghhtt~ Oh nooo...so a-afraid."

I clenched my fists, "You'll be joining me on my journey."

He stood straight, blowing a strand of his disheveled hair out of his face, "Pardon?"

"Since you want to play around, you can join," I smiled threateningly.

He laughed and wagged his finger in my face, "Think you're forgetting I'm older. I don't have to obey."

I moved his finger away from me, "And I believe you're forgetting I am the second heir to the throne. You will join me. Not only because I said so, but because you actually want an adventure."

"Touché," he smirked and bowed.

• • •

I watched Adonis fight a dozen men off his back. He was so swift and effortless. One of the knights facing him hit the ground and started to panic as they backed away. They looked so afraid.

Adonis took a sunflower out of his pocket and offered it to the knight. They were utterly confused.

"I don't want that stupid flower," the knight hissed nervously.

I could almost feel my heart ache, but Adonis didn't waver, he just placed the flower in his own hair instead. The knights around looked at him weird, and he walked over to the tent to meet with my uncle as if nothing ever happened.

"You've been watching him awfully close butterfly," a voice said from behind me.

I looked up at the man approaching me from underneath the tree.

"Father, what are you doing here?"

He sighed, "Thought I'd try to see you as much as I can before you take off. Metaphorically, of course."

I smiled, seeing the red cloth around his eyes, "I will return to you."

He nodded, "I know you will."

I looked down at my feet, and my father asked something that made my breathing come to a halt.

"Are you in love?"

Love...?

"What do you mean?"

"Oh please, even as a blind man, I can see it. You're always sneaking around with him. You're learning his ways of communicating...and whether you admit it or not, the main reason you don't want to marry is because he isn't a choice."

I remained silent, feeling my heart beat through my chest. Was that love?

"And..." he continued, "you're getting stronger urges. I believe I've warned you about this."

"I know father...I'm sorry."

"It is alright butterfly. I will no longer burden your free will. Do as you wish, but please be careful for me. Every action has a consequence."