𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 14

My brother choked on his drink and looked over at me like I was crazy.

"I am sorry for all my foolishness. What I am wanting to obtain does not change whether I am wedded or beheaded. I want change. I want unity. I want peace most of all."

My father placed a hand on my shoulder, "You do not have to speak on this here."

I stood up and stacked my plates so the maids wouldn't have to, ignoring him. "I will marry, but not to Prince Aaron. I wish to marry Prince August instead. He is full of knowledge, and I believe he can help me shape the world of my dreams."

"Did you not wish to achieve that yourself, sis?" Enrian asked.

I looked over towards Adonis, who was standing underneath the shadows against the wall. He only bowed.

"I've been taught recently that nothing can be achieved alone. To find a cure, I must go through what I fear most, which is belonging to someone other than myself. Only then, will I acquire what I'm longing for."

My father wiped tears from his eyes.

I was taken aback, "Are you crying?!"

"You're such a woman now, I-I'm sorry," he hiccuped.

I shook my head, sighing.

Who knew just how much one could change in a simple lifetime.

I'd be sure to find out.

"That will be all. Thank you," I left the table and Adonis followed behind.

I giggled when I was far enough away from them, "Did I stump them?"

Adonis nodded.

I snuck into the kitchen and the chefs immediately bowed.

"Please don't bend a bone towards me. I don't really care for such greetings."

Their eyes widened and one spoke, "You're very kind princess."

I smiled, "Do you all have any soup ready?"

"Yes actually," one chef said, handing me a bowl.

I held it up to Adonis, "Look good?"

He nodded and I pushed him towards the exit, sneaking cookies behind my back.

• • •

"Don't hold a spoon that way, you'll lose control and make a mess."

Adonis blinked. He held his spoon like a sword. It was honestly a little funny.

I placed my hand on his, opening his fingers to place the handle of the spoon between his index and thumb. "Grip it this way."

He nodded and his eyes widened as he scooped up the soup. It didn't fall off the spoon like before.

He held the spoon to my mouth.

I shook my head, "You eat. I have something else," I laughed devilishly.

He watched me bite into a cookie and he proceeded to drink more of the broth.

"Wait wait wait!"

He stopped and I took the bowl from him, not knowing if the heat would burn his injured throat. I didn't want another incident like earlier.

He watched me blow over it.

"Do this before each sip, okay?"

He nodded and did as I said.

After a minute, we rolled an empty scroll across the floor, and he placed the empty bowl beside him, watching me crawl underneath a table to reach into something.