𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 48

(light visual warnings...)

● ● ●

I woke up to the sound of clashing blades.

"Ugh! Stop fighting you two!" I complained.

The clashing stopped and I rose up from the pallet, rubbing my eyes.

Lionis crawled over to me instantly and I smiled, ruffling his hair. "Sleep well?"

He nodded, studying Jareth's dagger in his hand.

How'd he even find it?!

I looked up at Adonis, who was pulling on his cape. He caught my eye and signed, 'What's the plan for today?'

I stood and Lionis hugged my leg.

"I need to speak with Kingsley, and I want you to stay here with him."

He nodded, even though he was wondering why he would have to.

● ● ●

Kingsley was already waiting outside of my tent when I walked out, and I backed up in surprise.

"Mornin' princess," he exclaimed groggily as he took the cigarette out of his mouth, "Have that book handy?"

I nodded and followed him into a spot in the woods. The trees closest around me vanished, and the only thing in sight was dirt.

"Drop it," he said.

I kneeled to place the book on the ground and rose back up to meet his eyes, "Why weren't you fighting with us? We needed you."

"I've got other priorities kid."

Tears formed in my eyes, "Other priorities? Are we not your friends?"

He took another whiff, "Don't pull that cryin' crap with me. Do you want to learn or not?"

I clenched my fists, "You could have ended this all!"

"Don't go blaming another soul," he responded in a serious manner. It was the first time he actually wasn't joking around.

"You lead them there, princess. They trusted you and they followed. I knew what you all were getting into before they could think about it."

My heart softened and it began to drop to my stomach.

He took out another cigarette from his coat pocket, "Now I've known your uncle for many years. He's made plenty of stupid mistakes, but you're not one of them. If he allowed you to start this war, then there's a reason. I had to make sure I remained alive to figure out why, otherwise you'd all be toast for the chickens."

I smiled sadly, "It is my fate. Isn't it? They'll all die as long as they believe in me. Won't they?"

He squatted down to flip a page in the sacred book, nodding. "You're the last woman directly correlated to the queen. Therefore, you are the last soul able to change this fate before it becomes to late."

"Can I bring them back? Will things return to normal?"

"Bringing souls back takes a life for a life. I wouldn't suggest it."

He didn't like that method, but I was thinking of it anyway.

Everyone would come back.
I'd have no life left to ruin other people's lives.

They'd be free.

It'd be a win-win.

I played with my fingers, "Adonis's voice...can I get it back?"