𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 21

There were only three more days until the ball, and I'd have to focus on forming my final decision.

Would I run away and chase the path of my dreams, or would I stay and suffer the ways of the norm?

I didn't choose the latter, of course. It would be too easy and a waste of my precious life.

I watched my uncle swing the club as he stood in the midst of the golf court. I almost felt sorry for not telling him it had been pissed on by three troublesome men.

I pulled the hood of my cloak down and approached him, "Uncle."

He looked back at me, surprised I had actually come to see him at a normal time of day, "Niece."

I looked at the tattoo of my name on his left peck. He always made sure to tat his family members' names wherever they'd fit, but his closest members were often nearer to the area of his heart.

I smiled when he kissed the side of my lips.

"You smell of pine uncle. Did you go hunting?"

"Maybe. Maybe not."

I fell silent to his answer. My mother's funeral was tomorrow and none of my family seemed to take it lightly. I didn't even know how I could manage to keep moving forward after her fresh death.

"What are you needing?" my uncle asked suddenly.

"To learn how to fight like a knight."

"No," he said immediately.

"But-"

"There are not buts. You aren't running away."

He can't turn on me now, I thought. The day was so close.

I clenched my fists in my dress, "Earlier you said you'd allow me t-"

"You can be free. You just have to be safe."

My voice cracked, "This is slavery to me. I feel caged. I am not free, uncle."

He looked at the tears forming in my eyes, sighing, "Fine, but the moment you're wounded, you drop it. Even if it's just the tiniest scratch. Do you hear me?"

"Yes, sir," I bowed.

"Yes captain to you."

My smile started to grow and I jumped onto him, wrapping my legs around his back, "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

He patted my back lightly, "You're welcome. Now get off. You are too big for this now."

I dropped back to my feet and started walking away, "You won't regret this uncle!"

"I think I will," he said plainly, picking his golf club up from the grass.

• • •

I went to the training grounds and saw Adonis facing a hoard of men.

Not one could touch him with their staffs even though he didn't hold a single weapon. They all fell to the ground at a speed I didn't believe was possible.

He looked over at me and waved, not an inch of sweat appeared on his head.

I waved back, then heard my uncle's voice, "You're going to fight in a dress?"

"I don't even have pants in my possession, what do you suppose I do?"

He hummed then took his sword out of its case.

I backed away, "W-wha-"

He sliced my dress in half and I quickly covered myself as the expensive cloth fell to the ground, "Bastard!"