𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 32

Phaedra laughed at my empty expression, "Does your useless knight know you are using him to try to defeat me?"

I wanted to sink my fists into her beating heart. "I am not using him. We are fighting together."

She exited the bath, going over to the sink to wrap her hair with my towel, "Oh Sir Adonis...his blood burns for you...you don't even see it. You're like his crowned compass. A royal path he so wishes to trail upon, but little does he know...he's just a pawn."

"Enough with your appalling words."

"Very well, princess," she smiled and dropped my towel onto the floor. "You will see your selfish ways lead to catastrophe. Heed my warning and accept your darkness so that others may have light."

Before I could say anything more, that same red portal appeared and she vanished into thin air.

I sighed and left the bathroom when I was dressed and situated, only to find Adonis sitting up straight on my bed.

He was looking at the window, focusing on the full moon.

I smiled a bit to myself and slowly got underneath the covers beside him. He really couldn't manage to keep an eye closed without me near.

"I'm here," I whispered.

He looked down at my head on the pillow, not moving another muscle.

I closed my tiring eyes, "Sleep. Do it for me."

I heard the small ruffling of sheets and opened my eyes to see him laying down, facing me.

I placed my hand on his softened cheek, running my thumb below his eye as he began to smile.

I kissed his lips and he closed his eyes.
The scar on his neck began to glow as it was touched by moonlight.

All this time I had offered to be his voice, when truthfully, he had helped me strengthen mine.

◉ ◉ ◉

[Next Morning]

"Princess!"

"In an hour..." I mumbled, snuggling closer to Adonis in his embrace.

Gloria started to get furious, "You are late to the grand breakfast!"

"And?" I whispered.

"Your grandparents are here as well!"

"Oh shit," I said quickly, jumping out of bed.

Not so long after, Gloria had gotten me dressed. "What shoes would you like to wear, princess?"

"None."

"Rubbish. You are not going barefoot."

"Fine..." I whined, looking at the mirror to see Adonis pull on dressier coat. She had made him dress differently as well.

"I'll do the winged heels."

"That's...odd, but as you wish," she bowed and walked into my wide closet to retrieve the shoes.

I'd be leaving my father alone in this cage of a castle. The least I could do was be the symbol he always said I was.

They were beautiful quiet creatures that brought harm to no man, with small patterned wings that managed to fly through the largest of winds.

He had always called me this, and I never knew why, but now I was seeing it, because those creatures were beginning to remind me of Adonis.

He was my one and only butterfly.