𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 22

(warnings...)

• • •

Adonis wrapped the gauze around my calf and his soft bangs tickled my leg.

He would always keep his body so close to me when it came to times of aiding my pain. He wasn't sure how to comfort someone, but he had learned a little through the mini sessions and breakdowns we both shared.

I gripped the edge of my bed as the pressure stung my bruise.

He finished bandaging and looked up at me from kneeling on the floor between my legs. 'Anywhere else hurt?'

I shook my head and signed, 'Nope.'

His eyes widened at my signing, and I giggled at his surprise. I was learning rather quickly as well.

I held his face between my hands and he let go of my leg slowly. He was so gentle and kind to me, it melted my heart into a loving puddle. I brought his head to my chest and rubbed his back, "Do you hear it Adonis?"

He nodded as tears formed in his eyes. He was always so quick to cry when being embraced. He's only ever known physical pain and emotional degradation. My softness was a first for him.

He felt safe.

"Why do you make it beat this way?" I whispered and pressed my cheek onto the top of his head.

He closed his eyes and I wrapped my legs around his back as he started to shake.

I smiled and wiped the tears from his face, "It's okay..."

The arrow of the compass started to turn towards both of us, and he rose his head up to meet mine.

His eyes traveled to my lips and he blushed.

I tilted my head at him in confusion, "What is it?"

He bent his head. He had remembered the kiss my parents always gave me.

"I see..." I whispered and lightly kissed his head.

When I backed away, he signed, 'Happy.'

"You're happy?"

He nodded.

I smiled, "I'm happy too."

• • •

I had failed to hit my uncle's chest many times today.

At dinner I tried to blind him by throwing bread at his face, and it didn't work.

In his office, I attempted to annoy him to the point where he'd have to push me out with both hands, and though he did, he still caught my flying fists.

There was no distraction great enough and the day was close to over.

He said I was too focused on the target...but wasn't that the point?

What was I missing?

Oh yeah...

A weakness.

I walked to my uncle's bedroom and knocked on the door.

I heard a couple of locks before it opened, and he looked down at me as he pushed his arms through the sleeves of his robe, "What do you need?"

"May I come in?"

"If you're trying to hit your name, just give up now."

I giggled, shooing his comment away, "It's too late for that."

He opened the door wider and stood to the side, "Whatever you say, niece."

I walked in slowly, playing with my fingers.