𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 43

[2 weeks later]

"Again!"

I inhaled, lifting the heavy ropes, before slamming them back into the ground. The friction cut fine lines into the dirt.

"Atta girl! Again!"

I felt like I was dying, but I had to keep going. I lifted the ropes again and my uncle stopped me before I could swing them downwards.

Just when he was about to lay another hand on me, I flipped back and kicked his arm away.

He was always trying to catch me off guard to test my attention span.

He placed the whistle in his mouth and I sighed, "What now?"

"Give me five, this instant."

"But that's so rando-"

I looked at his cold gaze and immediately got into push-up position, doing five reps, "Sir, yes sir!"

He whistled, "Good. Get in line. Game time."

● ● ●

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, kneeling towards the starting line.

"On your mark..."

I rose up and smirked at Adonis from the other end, who was already staring at me.

"Get set..."

I looked ahead and started sprinting at the word GO.

I hopped over the log, seeing Adonis was too far ahead for anyone to catch up.

I thought to take a short cut and climb up the trees.

I fiddled with the metal bracelet on my forearm and it ejected a silver chain. I was just now getting used to these gadgets.

"Hope this works," I mumbled and let myself fall from the tree, swinging to the other side right beside Adonis.

He looked over at me, shocked.

I giggled and passed him up.

"Go princess!" the knights shouted from the sidelines.

An arrow landed right in front of my feet.

"Vinny," I mumbled and looked up, only to see him landing to his feet right next to me.

Us three rushed towards the white flag on the hill and came to an abrupt halt, seeing Kingsley.

He snapped and the entire hill became surrounded by lava. "Not goin' easy on ya kids like Jareth was."

"Hey," Jareth complained, appearing behind me out of nowhere, "I wasn't going easy."

He pushed me and I quickly turned, seeing he wasn't there.

"Shit," I whispered, "Where is he?"

I took the knife from my belt and swung it when I felt wind come from behind me.

The area around me had turned black. I was stuck in nothing but darkness.

What was this magic..?

"Think light on your feet Lessi," a voice echoed.

I hissed and ducked low, "I'm trying, damnit."

"Use your senses."

Right, I thought. If I couldn't see, I could use my hearing.

I closed my eyes and stilled my movement, hearing the lightest swish from beside me.