𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 11

"What do you mean final words, father?" Enrian asked.

I looked down at my feet. I knew she was ill. That fact had been buried in my gut all along.

Why wouldn't she tell either of us?

"You'll see," my father said, and we both walked up the steps to meet him.

I turned to Adonis, "Wait for me in my room, okay?"

He bowed at my request, and I looked over to Uvin who had placed a hand to his heart.

We both shared a mutual nod, and my brother and I walked behind our father.

"Do you really think she could be sick?"

We all stopped at the nursing room and I held Enrian's hand tightly, "I'm hoping not."

"Please be kind to your mother," my father said as sadness grew in his eyes, "She goes in and out. If she does lash out at you, do not take it to heart."

Enrian and I nodded, and he opened the door to the room.

I saw my mother laid back against the bed, reading a book. She seemed...fine?

She looked over at us three and opened her arms, "Hi my lovelies."

Me and my brother walked over to her and she kissed both our heads.

She turned up her nose, "You all smell so earthy. Have you been out?"

"Yes," I smiled as I looked at her drained face. She was getting so much skinnier...was she not eating?

"What is going on with you mother?" Enrian asked.

She frowned, "It is complicated. Your dumb mother did something long ago and must now suffer the consequences of her actions."

What was she talking about?

"Which is why, munchie, I want you to marry Prince Aaron," she said out of nowhere.

"What?!"

"You didn't decide, so I decided for you. The alliance that forms with this marriage will be better for both kingdoms. The great wars could finally stop there."

Why was she just as stubborn sick as she was in health?

I shook my head, clenching my fists in my dress. "I'm not marrying, I've told you."

"Lessi..." Enrian elbowed my arm.

"You will."

"Why are you like this mother? Father has told me you didn't like these arrangements either, so why is it you can't you feel my pain?!"

She placed a hand to her heart and started to heave. Enrian hurried to her side and rubbed her back, "Nurse!!"

"Lessi," my father said and grabbed my arm, leading me out of the room as doctors started to rush in.

I jerked my arm away from him, "Don't even."

He sighed and pulled me into his arms, rubbing my back as I cried into his chest. He knew these recent days were harsh for me, but nothing got better.

Why was it so hard for them to understand?

"I don't want to marry, father. Especially not to him."

He smoothed my hair down, "I know. You can change your decision at the ball. Everyone will be present."

I backed away from him instantly. "I don't want to make a decision at all!"

"If it was my choice, I'd let you be free. I really would."