𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 17

Was pleasuring myself a dumb decision? Why couldn't I enjoy one thing without something terrible happening not too far afterwards?

"I'm sorry, Adonis..." I whispered and buried my head under the covers, weeping.

I hated to cry, but everything just kept piling up over another.

The cover started to rise a little above my head and I saw Adonis squatting to face me.

He placed his head underneath the covers with me and I started to laugh, "Adonis what are you doing? Get out."

He shook his head. He was so close that his nose almost touched mine.

I sighed and sat up, wiping my tears.

This man was really something.

He stood and held out a hand for me when he saw me smile.

"What are you doing?" I asked him.

He moved his other hand from behind his back, showing me an empty jar.

I gasped, "Are we really going to do this?"

He nodded.

"My, my, Adonis..." I smirked, "I am surprised."

He bowed, without a word.

• • •

I jumped into the pile of daises, making an angel with my arms and legs. "I love it here, don't you?"

He nodded and laid back in the flowers with me, looking up at the stars.

I hadn't done this in a while. Usually Uvin or Gloria would accompany me here from time to time, but it was so rare now because of these stupid rules.

I turned my head to look at him, "Adonis, what is the one thing you wish for above all else?"

'What is a wish to you?' he signed.

"It's like a dream you want to come true. Something that you really want to happen."

He nodded and turned his head to meet mine.
'I wish for your wishes to come true.'

I started to laugh. Of course he would say that. If only he knew that one of my wishes was for him to have a mind of his own. He was always so selfless when it came to me.

"Guess that's one thing we have in common, Adonis...we can't seem to only think of ourselves in problematic situations, can we?"

He sat up and caught a firefly with his hand, placing it into the jar with the others, before laying it beside me.

I smiled, "They're beautiful."

He nodded.

I watched him stare back at me.

His eyes greatly contrasted with the night sky, though everything else about him seemed to blend in with it. His attire...hair...even soul from time to time was pure darkness.

I sat up and his eyes followed my every movement. He was always studying me to better understand human interaction.

He held his hand up, and I was surprised. He had remembered me putting my hand against his.

I placed my hand to his palm, looking at my fingertips beneath his. He slowly closed the space in between my knuckles with his fingers.

I blinked, "Adonis?"

'Is this what holding hands is?' he signed.

I giggled, "Yes."

He nodded and grabbed my other, making my hands clap repeatedly.

"Stop it!" I laughed more.

He placed both my palms to either of his cheeks and I kept them there. His face was so cold to the touch.

He signed, 'Warm.'

"Mhm," I pulled his cheeks, trying to form a smile on his face. He looked so dead inside.

"Smile for me, Adonis."

He signed, 'How?'

"Just um...curve your lips. Like this," I smiled, pointing to my mouth.

He tried and it looked like he was in pain.

I giggled at his effort, "Alright, alright. You can stop."

He sat up straight and I sighed, "Can't believe the ball is in four days. I'm so stuck, Adonis. What do you believe I should do?"

'I do not know. I will follow you no matter the choice.'

"Even if I marry to an ass or run away to destruction?"

'Yes.'

"Oh, Adonis..." I felt tears swell in my eyes and I looked back up at the stars. "Everything is so bright and gorgeous tonight. I don't have a very good feeling."

He tilted his head then stood immediately.

"Adonis? What's the matter?"

I then heard the stampede of horses and quickly stood to see the royal knights approaching me. Great, I was caught.

Or so I thought.

"Princess Lessi!"

I bowed my head, "I know. I am deeply sor-"

"Your mother is taking her last breaths as we speak!"