Panic

Prompt: Amelia has panic attack over a patient and Link comforts her.
Request: Sd026602

Amelia was having a hard day at work. She lost a patient. A little boy. He was about 7 years old. Amelia always got emotional when she lost a patient, but this one hit close. Her baby Christopher would have been 7 this year too, and it just made her think of how she failed her own baby, and now someone else's. She walked out of the OR and down the hallway. She was fighting back the tears but her throat got tight and she knew she couldn't hold it in. From across the ER, her boyfriend Atticus, who went by Link, saw her upset. He figured she lost a patient because she was usually upset when she lost a patient. Especially children. Link knew about Amelia's past with her baby Christopher. Amelia pushed open the bathroom door and Link ran across the ER and walked up to the door. He could hear muffled sobs coming from inside the bathroom. He hoped nobody else was in the bathroom as he pushed open the door and saw Amelia standing at the sink sobbing.
"Link," she started softly.
"What happened?" He asked as he locked the door behind him and rushed over to his girlfriend.
"I-I l-lost the b-boy," Amelia started sobbing as she grabbed Link and let herself be pulled into a hug by him.
"Just explain it slowly," Link tried.
"I-I cant he was so small," she cried as her breathing became unsteady.
"Amelia breathe with me okay?" Link tried as he put his hands on her shoulders and rubbed them. Amelia was still freaking out. Link feared she would hyperventilate soon.
"Amelia please calm down," Link tried, "let's just talk about this okay?" Amelia started pacing the bathroom as her hands fell in her hair.
"Amelia," Link said and grabbed her arm and Amelia turned to him.
"Amelia breathe with me," he said as he inhaled.
"O-okay," Amelia said and started breathing slowly. Link felt relieved that she was starting to calm down. After Amelia was starting to calm down Link brought her into a hug.
"What happened?" He asked gently.
"He was the same age Christopher would be," Amelia said softly.
"A little boy?" link asked. Amelia nodded and he kissed her head.
"I'm sure you did everything right?" Link said.
"Yeah," Amelia said, "but I failed him too."
"You didn't fail him, you tried to save his life," Link reasoned.
"I miss him," Amelia said, meaning Christopher.
"Why don't we go sit?" Link offered. Amelia nodded as she wiped her eyes on her sleeve and they walked down the hallway. Link opened and on call room and the couple got under the covers and cuddled into one another. Amelia was quiet as Link wrapped his arms around her.
"Thanks," she said softly after a while.
"You're welcome," Link responded.
"I love you," Amelia said quietly. She had never said it before. Not to him at least, but she meant it. She looked up at him and he smiled.
"I love you too," Link responded and kissed her head.