Protector

Prompt: Amelia lives in an abusive household and Arizona notices.

TW:  abuse / violence

AMELIAS POV
I opened my eyes and my face stung. I touched it and it send a wave of pain through my cheek.
"Fuck," I said. I got up and walked into my bathroom and locked the door behind me. I looked in the mirror and the left side of my face was purple. It's gonna take forever to cover this up and then I'll be late for school, and then my mother will probably beat me. Again. I grabbed my makeup and sighed as I looked in the mirror. It hurt to even try to blend makeup into it. I grabbed my makeup brush and remembered yesterday.

"What the hell is this?" My mom asked as I walked into the kitchen.
"What is what?" I asked, but I knew she was angry.
"This," she said and held up a page she ripped out of my diary. I felt my chest tighten. How did she find my diary?
"How'd you get that?" I asked.
"Your diary," she said.
"Why were you in my diary?" I asked.
"Why are you a freak?" She yelled at me. I looked at the page and knew she it was. I know I'm bisexual. I know I am, but I can't tell anyone, so I wrote it down.
"Why were you going through my stuff?" I said.
"Because you're hiding stuff. Like this!" She yelled.
"Give it back," I said and tried to get the paper from her and she slapped me in the face.
"I swear to god Amelia I didn't raise you to be like that," she said and grabbed the paper and ripped it. I wanted to cry.
"Don't be upset about it you can't think like that," my mom said and shoved me, "why were you late coming home from school anyway?"
"I was talking to a friend," I said.
"Let me guess, Arizona?" She said. I forgot I wrote Arizonas name down.
"No," I lied.
"Shut up," she said and pushed me. I hit the wall next to me and she walked out. All I wanted to do was cry.

By now my face was covered and I got dressed and ran downstairs. I walked into the kitchen and my mom was at the table.
"What took you so long?" My mom asked.
"I had to cover up the bruises," I said.
"Don't be ridiculous," she said.
"I'm going to be late bye," I said and grabbed my bag. I felt her grab my arm harshly and I winced in pain.
"That didn't hurt shut up," she said, "I want you home right after school, we have something to talk about."
"I told my friends I would work on a project with them at the library today," I said. She tightened her grip on my arm and I bit my lip.
"I'll be home after school," I said.
"Good," she said. I ran out to my car and drove to school. I parked and sighed. I was supposed to go with Arizona to the library for our project, I can't bail on her, but my mother will beat the shit out of me if I don't come home.
"Hey," my passenger car door opened and it was Arizona.
"Hey," I said as my voice was still shaking. My arm throbbed and I just wanted to be anywhere but school.
"What's wrong?" She asked.
"Nothing," I said.
"Are we still on for later?" She asked. I froze. I can't say no to her, I love her. She's my best friend, but my mother will kill me if I don't come home.
"Amelia?" Arizona asked.
"Can I spend the night at your house?" Is what came out of my mouth.
"Yeah sure," she said, "everything okay?"
"Yeah," I said.
-
My mom hasn't stopped calling or texting me. I had to shut my phone off because I was afraid she'd track me and find me at Arizona's. I was so on edge about it. I should have just gone home and let her yell at me. I was in Arizona's bathroom after I showered. I looked in the mirror and realized I didn't have any makeup. Shit. I couldn't hide it.
"Arizona do you have any foundation?" I asked.
"Yeah, it might be a little pale for you but," Arizona said as she opened the door, "oh my god, are you okay?"
"Yeah uh it's just um," I said.
"Amelia," Arizona said, "what happened? Who did this?"
"I tripped going up the stairs," I lied.
"Amelia," she said.
"My mom," I said.
"She did this?" Arizona said as tears formed in her eyes, "why would she hurt you?"
"Because I'm bisexual," I said. Arizona pulled me into a tight hug and I winced in pain. I haven't been hugged by someone in so long, and my bruises all over my body hurt.
"Does she hurt you anywhere else?" Arizona asked.
"She pushed me down the stairs last week," I said, "that's why I asked to stay here because I'm so afraid she'll hurt me again."
"You're not going back there," Arizona said, "you can stay with me forever I don't care I'm not letting you back there okay?"
"Thank you," I said weakly as I cried.
"You're welcome," Arizona said and got me a change of clothes. I sat down on her bed and she came in front of me with makeup to cover my face.
"Does it hurt?" She asked as she dabbed makeup on my cheek.
"No," I lied.
"I'm almost done I'm sorry," Arizona said. She finished and neither one of us said anything. She laid down next to me and I started crying. Arizona brought me into her arms as I sobbed.
"Thank you for being a good friend," I cried.
"You don't have to thank me," she said, "I'll make sure she never touches you again okay?"
"Okay," I said.
"I love you," Arizona said.
"I love you too," I said.