ORIGINAL IDEA: Whites

Since the first day of fifth grade, her eyes were on his mind. Of course, everyone in class talked about how pale they were. Some would wonder why she never wore sunglasses (the rest of her kind did). Others would laugh whenever she bumped into her desk.

He said nothing. In fact, he wanted nothing to do with her. He found those eyes in the corner of his. Sometimes, they were on him, especially when he read aloud in class. It was unsettling to the point he had wished her gone.

Then, she was. Apparently, she moved out of town after Christmas. A blessing, he first thought.

The more time passed, the more he stared at the door. The many times he expected to find her next to it bugged him. He thought summer, and the annual family trip to the beach would cure him.

Seeing her on the beach ruined the first day of said trip. His mom and dad talking to hers didn't help, so he sat as far away as possible. He didn't even swim in the water, since she stood in it.

Wanting to avoid her, he said he felt sick the next morning. However, his dad kept his mom from unpacking any "emergency medicines" and told her to wait outside. He felt shy about the truth with his dad. His dad never asked, but those blue eyes convinced him to go to the beach.

She was there, alright. He didn't want to, but his dad said to talk to her. He wasn't sure if she noticed him.

Standing over her, he said, "Hi. Uh, I'm..."

He stepped back from her widened gaze. "It's you! You're that boy from class!" she said, her voice ringing to his surprise.

Wait, she remembered him? All because his "voice sounded nice?" How come she never said that before?

Why did he never say anything to her?

After she finished talking, he cleared his throat of the lump inside. "Can I sit with you?"

He saw his own browns reflecting in her whites,which glowed with her smile. "Sure!"

-----

AN: This was something I wrote for the Tales Foundry' Writing Group, and the prompt was called "Staring into their Eyes" (they did a reading of it with the other entries on their twitch channel, so you can see it there if you want to). It's really short, and I was writing off the top of my head, but it seems okay.

-W.S.