FANFICTION IDEA: Departure (prologue to a possible SW PT rewrite)

Disclaimer: I don't own Star Wars. It belongs to Lucasfilm and Disney. This is only a possible scene for a potential rewrite I'm working on.

-----

Five years ago...

It was faint, but Padme could hear the troopers march in synch, even from high above. To her eyes, they were white lines marching through the streets and pushing aside the colorful races that made up the population of Naboo. The shadows of the spires and domed buildings could not hide the colorless Imperial battalions, and the setting sun only made them seemingly glow with light. 

The sun also fell on the underbelly of Imperial warships in the sky. Those ships once appeared the Clone Wars, under the banner of the Galactic Republic with the promise of defending the world from future invaders. Now, the Empire came in its place, marching its army like victorious conquerors. The people down below, on the streets of Theed City, cheered and welcomed their new masters who promised peace and security.

Unlike them, Padme watched in terrified silence from her window, her arms wrapped around herself in that same worry she saw below. As she did, a strong and long arm wrapped around her shoulders, and she wished that it would not let go. "I have to leave now," said the man holding her.

Padme did not look away from the depressing sight below. She wanted to-by the stars, she wanted to-but that would mean to face the same thing by her side. In spite of it, Padme turned and craned her neck up to look at Anakin Skywalker. He looked very much like the young man she first met all those years ago. At the same time, he looked very old, affected severely by the war.

It was that reason why Padme asked, "Must you, Anakin?"

There was a soft sigh. It was not of irritation, It was of defeat and sad acceptance of the situation. "I have to Padme," replied to her question.

It wasn't a good answer, Padme didn't question it. Though the Clone Wars were over, they weren't for Anakin. He had been a different man, after many other Jedi Knights had fallen on worlds strange and far away from known civilization, and few returned from the front lines forever. Every time Anakin left for his own missions, she worried and feared for his concern, now more than ever.

She raised a delicate hand against his right cheek and held it, with the dirty blond strands brisking her manicured nails. The unkempt hair would have driven her nuts, but now she wanted to feel it a bit longer, and more importantly, say some words to convince Anakin. 

She said nothing of it. Any words would have been in vain, and she was taught to never let such things hold over her. So, Padme sadly stared at those blue eyes and sighed, "Please promise me that you will return."

Anakin took her hand in his own, trying to be gentle as he possibly could, his smile almost obscured by the sun. "I will," Anakin promised, and he lowered to kiss her. 

Padme kissed those lips back, just as she did days ago when she married Anakin. She tried to savor everything about the moment as long as she could. The setting sun, the sterilized breeze, the wild and short bangs against her silky and dark strings. They were mundane, but Padme wished they could last forever.

Sadly, in a few seconds, Anakin parted his lips, then his main body, and his hand at last. As Anakin's warm fingers slipped away, Padme focused on her fiance, watching every bit of him go until the folds of his uniform and the glimmer of his lightsaber retreated into the shadows. 

Then, he was gone, and Padme was left with noone or nothing... except hope and a promise.

Only this time, the promise would be broken.

-----

AN: Yet another to add to the pile of weird ideas. This one is more of a prologue for a possible Prequel Trilogy rewrite I had planned some time ago. I don't know if I'll ever actually publish it, but we'll see. Until then, take care.

-W.S.