FANFICTION IDEA: A Destroyer for a Destroyed World (A Godzilla/SBY crossover)

Disclaimer: Space Battleship Yamato belongs to Yoshinobu Nishizaki and was written by Leiji Mastumoto. Godzilla and other well-known Daikaiju fall under the ownership of Toho.

-----

Planet Earth was dying, as the past several months of 2199 A.D. had reminded Dr. Serizawa. Once, he had lived fifty years blissfully unaware of the great alien threat that would lay waste to Earth, which did over the past few years. Serizawa, given his job, had little time to fall into despair or hysteria like the rest of the rabble of civilians. He had his work, and he felt his work was about to pay off today.

"This is Dr. Serizawa. Time and date... well, I guess it won't matter if those meteorites break through here."

The latest strikes on the surface proved Serizawa's morbid report which he recorded for the now-united governments of the world. In his underground bunker some hundreds of feet beneath the surface, the good doctor did his best to keep himself and his nearby equipment still. A sigh of relief escaped his aged lips when the tremor passed.

"Any damage?" he called to the other scientists nearby, his voice filtered through his hazmat suit.

"No, sir!" said one of many other scientists.

"Then, keep working!"

With that, Serizawa walked carefully across the rocky cavern and passed the several others monitoring the equipment while dressed in hazmat suits themselves. Uncomfortable as they were (many complained about having "an itch down there"), they were the only protection from the enormous radioactivity. They were close enough to where said radioactivity leaked from the surface.

Serizawa cleared his throat and spoke again to the recorder in his helmet. "Now where was I? Ah, yes! In my previous reports, I mentioned that due to the radioactivity seeping into the surface, the Earth will only have a year at most before it becomes inhabitable for humanity. We are incapable of faster-than-light travel, and I do not believe our so-called 'friends' from beyond will provide us another warp drive."

Serizawa stopped himself before he could comment on the "gift" from the so-called friendly aliens who had reached out to Earth's government. He had been shot down by his superiors for simply "expressing his concerns" about the mission for the home world of their 'rescuers,' called Iskandar-if it even existed. He didn't want to get on their bad side any more than he already had.

"However, you may remember in my latest report, I mentioned an area in the Pacific, where there was a drop in radiation."

'A drop' was a slight exaggeration on Serizawa's part, but he had no other words to describe it, or the giant chasm lying beneath him. He stopped his aged old feet by the edge of the chasm, so he didn't fall in. Multiple jagged spikes, the size of houses, stuck out like spears from the chasm's bottom. What, or whom, they were attached to had been the result of several days of searching and looking at geiger counters. They had all led to this point, to this beast absorbing all the nearby radiation while it slept or hibernated. Serizawa's data had been correct, and if he could extrapolate some more, then he may have found one of many answers to humanity' predicament.

"The survey team has confirmed it, and I... I am looking down at him." Serizawa held back a laugh, but not from the joy and fear rising in his voice. He felt like he was forty years younger, a mere kid play-acting in the schoolyard. "It is incredible. We thought him just a legend. Nothing more to scare children at bedtime. Now, I realize he was more than just that. I... I understand the fears of my colleagues, but we may not have another chance. Humanity has progressed since the days of the mere ballistics, and if we can spare just a few dozen for him, we can-"