🌞Chapter 13

🌞

At that moment, Mew was in the company car on the way to his dinner meeting.

"So what are your impressions after one week here?" President Ookawa asked him.

"Well, business itself is basically fine. But in planning and personnel, productivity is fairly low. We need to move strongly enforce a merit-based system and motivate each and every person to do their best. Also, there are too many long and pointless meetings."

"You're awfully harsh..."

"You hired me to be harsh."

"That's true, but..."

"In any case, I requested each Sales Division, submit their mid-period sales strategies and their current numbers for review, but no division has complied yet. Perhaps they feel that my request is beneath their notice, but the managers should be able to provide what I asked."

"Up until now, the Presidential Office has handled that..."

"Everybody needs to know how the chain of command works. And I think you will agree that it would be best if I took sole charge of the Jefferson Company project."

"Hmm..."

From the corner of his eye, Mew could see Ookawa hesitating as if troubled. He knew that the difficulties he had faced so far were nothing compared to what was coming.

'There's nothing I can do but try,' he thought.

Mew's life plan had not included this transfer to Dai Tech. Of course, working at a foreign-capital company had meant that the possibility of being headhunted by another company existed at any time. Before coming to Dai Tech, he had been taken in by a new company twice, and both times had proved to be a step-up and a chance to improve his skills.

But his move to Dai Tech was not something he himself had hoped for. In fact, the whole thing had been out of his hands, so he had no choice but to accept the transfer.

After the previous president's sudden death, the joint business project with the Jefferson Company had come to a stand still. Now, Ookawa had asked Mew to help it get started again. It had been neccessary to bring someone in to negotiate with Jefferson's top players and so he had been made 'Executive Director of Sales.' But at least one of the executives who was unsatisfied with Mew's appointment felt that he was overstepping his bounds.

Back at his old job, Mew never would have dreamed that he would have new responsibilities added after signing his contract. But due to the current situation, he couldn't blame Ookawa and sae that he had no choice.

"Well, let's do the best we can,' he said.

"Sorry..." the old man whispered.

"There's no need to apologize," Mew replied.

"Well, the Jefferson Project is in your hands. Choose whomever you want to work under you. And if your current secretary isn't working out, feel free to pick a different one. AA recommended him, but there are a lot of people in the Secretarial Division with more experience."

"No, that's not neccessary," Mew said to Ookawa's proposition, resisting the urge to make further comments. Even though he hadn't chosen this job and his days were filled with various frustrations, the only thing that brought him pleasure was having Gulf Kanawut around. It was true that he was young and inexperienced, but he had a certain kind of charm that was unique to hin alone.

Gulf was a guilty pleasure that Mew could never reveal to anyone else.

"I'm lucky to have such a beautiful secretary," Mew said jokingly. "I don't intend to replace him." Even he was surprised by his good mood

His contract hadn't said anything about the best part of Dai Tech.

'Gulf Kanawut.'

Without realizing it, a pleased smile overtook Mew's face. He had a wonderful premonition that a delicious new gane was about to begin.

TBC