🌻Chapter 18

🌻

Circumstances changed in October, thanks to a sudden development with Mew's project with the Jefferson Company.

For two months, Mew and his team had been trying to carry out negotiations with Jefferson's Tokyo Branch. Due to the sudden death of the Dai Tech president, the project had been put in hold for over jalf a year, and Jefferson wasn't responding well to their renewed overtures.

Mew had been brought in to fix the unfavorable situation, but it seemed like Jefferson's Tokyo branch had been inclined to work with another company and Dai Tech had no hope of gaining the contract. Even though President Ookawa supported working with the Jefferson Company again, many Dai Tech executives weren't in favor of the project. And many employees, like AA of Sales Division Three, very publicly voiced their disapproval.

AA, who stood to become the previous president's adopted son-in-law, didn't want to be involved in a project that seemed so clearly doomed to failure. He had big plans and couldn't afford even one stain on his illustrious career. Granted, if the project was a success, it would be Dai Tech's most brilliants achievements. But power-hungry AA estimated that the odds of the project failing were astronomically high and didn't want to take such a risk until he was safely married to Erina Ookawa.

But in mid-September, Mew had thrown all of his energy into taking action. He had known that no mattet how hard he worked, the Tokyo branch was too wrapped up in politics and wouldn't respond. So he had used some of the connections he had made during his time at G.V. Consulting and gotten ditectly in touch with Colin Evans, one of the power players at Jefferson's headquarters in New York.

It was a home run for Mew. Things changed at lightning speed.

Evan's had been dissatisfied with the way the Tokyo Branch had seemed unwilling to make a decision and had been impressed with Mew's clear vision. And he had been very interested in the terms of the proposed contract. Under Mew's direct supervion, the project had been completed perfectly. He had gained a supporter in the very heart of the Jefferson Company. Mew had even personally overseen the signing of the provisional contract in October.

Of course, Dai Tech was thrilled by this surprising but wonderful turn of events. Those who had been suspicious of the new Executive Director did an about-face. But some were worried that, once the official contract with Jefferson had been signed, Mew's influence would grow exponentially.

And of course, Gulf, Mew's secretary, was excited by recent events as well.

'Wow,' he thought, 'Mew really gets things done.'

Even though Gulf hadn't been as involved as much as Taniguchi and the project team, he still swelled with pride at the thought that he had helped Mew make the project a success. Mew was worlds away from AA, who had expended so much effort not because he cared about his work, but because he was obsessed with becoming Ookawa's son-in-law.

'I used to think that AA was so mature. I really don't have any judgement when it comes to men...'

Even though his relationship with AA had been dead for a long time, Gulf still couldn't help tormenting himself for his stupidity. But now that Mew had stolen his heart, his time with AA had faded away into distant memory.

'How could I have loved a man like that?' Gulf thought, shrugging his shoulder sightly and smiling bitterly.

"For someone working overtime in the middle of the night, you sure seem to be enjoying yourself" a familiar voice rang out from behind him.

TBC