Beg For It

It's close to four in the morning, my usual bed time and yet for whatever reason tonight I can't sleep. The conversation I had earlier with my cousin and best friend Terra keeps replaying in my head over and over. I'm twenty-two years old, and yet I'm home every night, I have no friends, and I almost never leave the house. Hell, even my birthday was spent at home with my parents. The topic never came up directly but the common theme of ending up forever alone was present, looming like an unwanted rain cloud.

Instead of continuing to wallow in self-pity I decide to get up and do something to clear my head. I throw my warm comforter off and kick it the rest of the way down before getting up in search of my laptop. A quick once over of the nearly empty room lets me know I left it at home. I groan knowing my followers are going to be annoyed. I haven't updated my book on Spoodle in weeks thanks to arranging this trip.

I sigh, reminding myself to try and update from the phone app tomorrow.

Lying down on the floor I start doing crunches to pass the time instead. Over the past few years I've been transforming my mind and body. I've gone from two hundred and twenty pounds of barely any muscle at all to one hundred and seventy-five pounds of mostly lean weight. Thinking of the number I used to see on the scale I sit up even faster and start to throw my arms, shadow boxing the air as I come up.

A light sweat starts to form and I smile slightly but quickly grimace, this burns like a bịtch. I still have a couple of improvements I'd like to make, my arms and thighs could be more toned and my stomach isn't as flat as I'd like it to be. The thought of the pudgy flesh at the bottom of my abs makes me push myself harder, switching from crunches to leg lifts.

Stupid fûcking joey pouch!

My entire body is hot and my stomach and back are killing me but I won't stop now, just a few...more. I let out a loud groan and my limbs drop around me like an exploding Mr. Potato head.

Breathing out, I lift into a back bend to stretch out the muscles I just worked before getting up from the floor. After a quick shower I'm ready to get the few hours of sleep I have left until I have to be wide awake again.

~*~

Loud knocks on my hotel room door wake me from what can only be called a cat nap. I slip into my robe before yawning and opening the door for my mom. She's more excited for today than I am and I'm the one who did all of the work. I don't even acknowledge her as I trudge back to the bed falling face first into it.

"Oh no," she states, "rise and shine!" She smacks my butt before opening the shades.

I sit up only to be blinded by light and throw my face back into the bed.

"Girl!" I yell, muffled by the bed cushions, "Mama get out of here! I just want to sleep!"

I can almost hear her smile, I know she's enjoying this. The playful relationship we have now is a far cry from the irritation we constantly showed each other through my early teen years.

"Nope! You should've taken your ass to bed last night instead of being up writing!"

I roll my eyes behind my eyelids and sigh. She always thinks she knows what I'm doing.

"For your information missy I left my computer at home. I was trying to sleep but I couldn't so I got up and worked out. You should be so proud," I reply sarcastically, finally rolling off of the bed.

"It's your graduation day Bailey you should be excited. You worked so hard for this especially this last year and a half. I'm proud of you, your daddy's proud of you...are you proud of yourself?" she asks holding her head to the side. She reminds me of our dog Venom at home and it makes me smile.