Hallucinations

Flood rains crash against the windows of the house in thunderous uproar, startling me awake. My hands reflexively reach for Harry but instead of his warm body, I'm met with the chill of empty sheets. My eyes open to stare at the ceiling at the realization. Harry and I didn't discuss it last night, but it was understood that I'd sleep in the guest room for the night. My early flight time was one reason for the separation while another, and admittedly the main reason, was the fight we had. My feelings quickly return to the morose mood I held all through the night.

As I shove memories of hearing Harry leave late and come home even later out of my mind, I reach for my phone beneath my pillow. I see a few texts from my parents asking when I'll arrive in Texas and a couple of random messages from people I used to talk to in high school asking if I'll be attending Brady's funeral. I ignore them all and open an email with an eye-catching sender: Oak Market Publishing.

Scrolling through the email from Jackson Frost, it's innately clear that he remembers me from the work I did for Oak Market at Reynolds'; the format of the email is more informal than what I'd expected. Jackson is requesting a meeting as soon as possible in order to give them an idea of what I'm working with as a writer.

Since this entire ordeal started with trying to get published, I've made what feels like a million and one flash drives containing my work on them so I know getting that together won't be the problem; getting it to Jackson however would be. With this crazy weather and my impending flight time I doubt if I'll have any time today and right now there's no telling when I'll be back in LA.

An accidental graze of my back button sends me back to my inbox where an alert for a flight delay awaits me. My gaze immediately raises to the sky; it has to be fate. It hardly ever rains in California but it just so happens the one day I need a disruption, it's raining cats and dogs. The only way the sign could get any bigger would be if God himself came down and told me this was it.

Quickly, I message Jackson back and tell him about my flight plans and inform him that I can't miss it since a close friend passed away. He's very understanding and speedy in his response and once again treats me like a friend. Apparently he's flying out as well so he suggests meeting at the airport Starbucks. He informs me that the meeting is more like an exchange than an actual formal meeting. I'll give him my work and he'll give me information and paperwork and then we can part ways. We agree to meet at the Starbucks and exchange numbers before ending the interaction.

It seems only fitting that I meet him at the one place in the world that seems to bring me the best luck and change my life every time I go there; first meeting Harry and now this. Even though Harry and I are on uneasy ground right now, there's no denying what he means to me. I've said it once and I'll say it forever, he's the best thing that's ever happened to me. Regardless of the ups and downs, I don't regret bumping into him for a second. So many of my dreams have come true since Harry came into my life; starting with meeting him. From that first encounter there's been near nonstop fulfillment; it's a ride I don't want to get off of. It's because of that realization that I've decided to stay in Texas for a while to clear my head. I'm no good to either of us or our relationship with my unresolved issues. We keep running into the same obstacles and bumping our heads, eventually we have to learn how to go through, get over, or move past them – that's what I'm taking this time for. I can hardly bear to leave him but I'd break if I lost him so for now this is what needs to be done.

Sneaking over to his room door, I peek through the crack in the door at his sleeping form and smile. He's taken over the entire bed, his limbs spread around as wildly as his hair. I hate to leave without resolving things from last night but I've got to go and judging by how loud he's snoring he needs his rest. Taking one last look I turn around and head for the front door where my luggage awaits.