Weightless

All Time Low’s, Weightless blasts through the speakers of my electric green Kia Soul and I can’t help but rock out at the stop light. This song always puts me in a “get it done” mood. I’ve always said it was the theme song to my life because I’m never satisfied, constantly craving life experience.

The second I notice a car easing to a stop beside me I stop thrashing around and act like a normal human being. Since my sunroof is open I can hear them laughing, my skin flaming in response. It doesn’t really matter if they’re laughing at me or not that’s the way my brain processed it. Thanks anxiety.

This is why my black asṣ doesn’t leave the house. Can’t a girl head bang to her life’s soundtrack without judgment. I make the mistake of looking over at the other car and the driver is still laughing. I guess not.

Pulling off the second the light changes I’m more embarrassed than ever.

~*~

“You’re late Duncan,” a voice comes from behind me and I roll my eyes before turning around.

“I know sir, I’m really sorry. I got caught in traffic,” I lie and luckily he believes me.

 I hardly ever tell lies, in fact this is the first in years, but I don’t need him up my ass today especially not after the red light incident.

Mr. Manus, my boss, reminds me so much of Mr. Miyagi sometimes I have to stop myself from calling him by the name. He’s fair and pays me a dollar above minimum wage plus he gives me the hours I want. Working in his clothing boutique is perfect since I get a discount and I can peruse all of the new shipments before anyone else.

Yadira, my coworker, a petite Hispanic girl with the longest raven black hair I’ve ever seen, comes out from the back and smiles at me before heading to her register. She doesn’t speak much English but then again neither does Mr. Manus. I deduced I’m here for the few English speaking clients that come in the store which is why I can work any hours I want.

I look up to the sound of the bell on the door and see the group of teenagers rush inside laughing and talking loudly. One knocks something over and instead of picking it up he just leaves it. A couple of the girls pick up items and then put them down in places they clearly didn’t get them from. I fủcking hate summer vacation. I hope I wasn’t this annoying when I was their age.

Sighing deeply, I plaster a smile on my face and walk over to them. “Can I help you guys find anything?”

A caramel skinned boy, who can’t be any older than fifteen, steps forward licking his lips. “A way into your pants would be nice,” he replies in a tone I can only assume he thinks is suave.

His friends laugh and give him dap. I breathe out, trying to control my temper and glare at him.

This is going to be a long eight hours.  

~*~

“Bailey wake up you have to head to work,” I hear my mother’s voice but I don’t want to get up.

I close my eyes tighter and try to go back to the One Direction concert from my dream groaning when it doesn’t work. That’ll be the last time I listen to ‘Four’ while I go to sleep.

“I’m up,” I grumble, sitting up against my headboard slowly. I watch her nod and walk out of my room closing the door behind her.

The clock on my phone reads nine fifteen as I check my text messages. No one’s texted me but I’ve gotten ten comments on the last chapter of my book ‘Awaiting Forever’ all of them asking me to update again. I don’t really have the time to update with how busy I’ve been.