Simple Design

I spent last night working out and then writing once I got home from work. Chuck wanted to hang out and get drinks but I turned him down. He's sweet and downright adorable but I see no point in getting too invested since he's leaving soon. Thankfully he understood when I told him how I felt.

Breaking Benjamin's Simple Design ends just as my run does. Whether the song is about commitment or stability in a relationship I have no idea but everything about it makes me want to move. It's one of my favorite songs to work out to so it's at the top and bottom of my playlist every time my feet hit the treadmill.

When I checked in with my mom this morning she joked with me that I should go for my runs outside however she knows better than that. Outdoors and I haven't been on good terms since I walked into a spider's web when I was seven. Since then Mother Nature and her creepy crawlies have all been on my shịt list. Fifteen years of resentment doesn't die easy.

Glancing at the clock I realize work starts in a little less than an hour so I hop to it, showering and drying my hair before pushing it into a bun similar to yesterdays. My makeup is a little less simple than normal, a light smoky eye matched with heavy mascara and eyeliner. I decide on pink lipstick lined with a darker shade for my lips. Making sure everything blends nicely with my skin tone, I slip my pearl earrings into my ears and matching necklace around my neck. Sliding the dark blue tweed sheath dress up I thank God it has a side zipper and not one at the back. The cap sleeves match perfectly with the sailor neckline that leads the eye to the bow just over my right breast. Slipping into my white ankle strap heels, I grab my purse and head for the door.

~*~

Before I can reach for the door handle of Reynolds Inc. Chuck's opening it up for me with a broad smile. I'm glad we're not in an awkward place after turning him down last night. Some guys would've held a grudge but I'm glad he didn't. Maybe we could be long distance friends? I assume they're easier to manage than friends I could possibly piss off on a daily basis.

"Morning Chuckie," I greet with a smile, heading straight for the elevator rather than stopping to talk. The boss is here today so as much as I'd like to chat I don't really have the time.

"Oh a nickname? That's the fastest I've ever earned one. Score!" He fist pumps, his smile spreading.

I shake my head at him and laugh as the doors to the elevator close. In a flash they're opening again to an almost identical scene as yesterday. Does everyone always run around here like wild banshees? That better not be a requirement I'm clumsy already and heels don't help.

Following the same path Damien took me on yesterday I end up at his work station where I find him adorned in pastel purple and black and Amita in another wrap dress, a red one this time.

"What's up buttercup?" Damien asks, his face lighting up when he sees me.

"Hey girl," Amita greets, "You look great again today."

"Thank you Amita, you two look really nice as well," I reply not really knowing how to respond. She's always so uplifting to the women that work here. I haven't heard her say one bad thing about any female here and she always tells us we look nice, it's refreshing. If every woman here is as mature as her I'll have a bunch of girl friends in no time.

"Jackie O realness," Damien says inspecting my outfit, "I approve. So are you going to actually come to lunch with us today or are you going to ditch us for the security guard again."

My eyes bulge making Amita and Damien laugh. How did they know about that? I didn't see them come through the lobby plus it wasn't like I planned it.

"I...that...he's really nice," I finally settle on a true statement. Anything else I could say would sound too much like an excuse and I don't owe them anything regardless of how nice they are.