I Was Here

"Please get back to me as soon as you have the confirmation," my reply is more stern than my nervous assistant, Aubrey, deserves but this is the third time he's called since this morning. Jackson assigned him to me at the end of last month and so far he's been competent but very easily nerved up.

Harry and his realtor, Karen, walk past me towards the second living room and I rush to catch up hoping that's the last call I'll get from Aubrey. Tonight is the book release party for my first published work, Born and Bred. Being the neurotic I am I declined any help from my agent or Jackson, including the party planner he usually uses for these types of events. I've worked tirelessly all week to make sure every minute detail is perfect – down to changing my nails from my usual Louboutin style to clear pink acrylics to match my outfit - and yet the second Aubrey arrived on the yacht to insure everything was in place anything that could go wrong decided to. There's been a problem with the decorations, the food, and even the servers being too nauseous to serve while on the boat. I've been a nervous wreck since the first call and the tension in my stomach hasn't been lifted by any of Aubrey's attempts at reassurance. The more he says he can handle it the less confident I feel in his abilities, especially with how overwhelmed he sounds.

His nerves are igniting mine and seriously ruining what should be an amazingly exciting moment for Harry and I. We've talked about house shopping for a while now and this morning we decided to finally put our money where our mouth is so to speak. So far we've checked out a bunch of houses - mansions really - and at nearly each one I've gotten a call from Aubrey. Needless to say I'm overwhelmed but surprisingly enough not about the idea of buying a home with Harry. We haven't been taking the search too seriously but the fact that we're even entertaining the idea in my mind says something.

"Sweetheart, are you paying attention?" Harry laughs lightly, crossing the room to grab my hand.

Karen smiles sweetly but I know she's probably annoyed with us by now. We haven't shown much interest in any house she's shown us.

"Sorry love, my head is somewhere else," I grin, linking my fingers in his, "What were you saying?"

He shakes his head and walks us into the spacious room next door.

"I was saying we could use this room as your office. Maybe line this wall with books," he explains pointing at the wall opposite a wall of large windows, "Then, we could place a L-shaped desk in front of the windows so you could see out as you write."

He's standing in the middle of the room in a slouchy cable-knit sweater and his favorite pair of ripped jeans that sag just enough that I get a peak of his boxers when he raises his arms. The excitement in his eyes as he lays out his decorating plans is unlike anything I've seen today.

"You like this one huh?" I ask, already knowing the answer by his body language.

A self-conscious smirk graces his lips, "That obvious?"

"Uh huh," I nod, walking over to meet him in the center of the room with a hug.

It's like being in his arms lifts a film from my eyes. No longer is this a playful fantasy that could or couldn't happen. Being wrapped in him in this room makes it all very real. This could be the home we get engaged in, get married and come home to, raise children in - it's laid out in front of my eyes, playing out like a movie in fast forward. This would be a home for us, our home.

My heart races at the thought but instead of giving into the fight or flight response it triggers, I cling tighter to Harry's torso. "So is there a basement for your studio?" I ask, taking a deep breath.

His back stiffens then relaxes and a smile that lights the room touches his lips. "Right this way."

~*~