Extraordinary Love

Needless to say, our days with Harry's family have gone miles smoother than our days with mine. There hasn't been one snide remark, comment or moment of shade – unless you count Harry and Gemma chapping each other's aŝses at a near constant rate. I can really see the closeness that they have and if I was a lesser woman it would make me jealous that my siblings are nowhere near as tight. Their relationship hasn't seemed to have changed much from when they were younger from the stories I've heard. Harry still enjoys bugging her and Gem – as she insists I call her – is the same way towards him.

In our time here we've visited many of Harry's favorite spots, tourist locations, and various family members. Harry took me to meet his father on our second day visiting, the rest of the family – Anne, Gem and Harry's stepfather Robin – decided to tag along. That was interesting to say the least. I've never been around a divorced couple before. I could tell things were a bit tense and uncomfortable but everyone kept things on the level. I was impressed by their ability to avoid the elephant in the room, especially when Desmond took all of us to dinner. The atmosphere in the restaurant was a little more romantic than what was necessary for our group but they made it work. My hat is definitely off to them because if this was my family, all of this tension would not stand – not for long at least.

On day three, I stayed behind with Anne to help her wash dishes before joining the rest of the family for a game of Scrabble. She seemed thrilled with the idea of our families merging for Christmas so we could all meet and spend the holiday together. I hoped the shock I felt didn't show on my face. I was throwing the idea out there on a whim, but to know she's completely okay with it and is in fact looking forward to it filled me with anxiety and excitement. Excitement because if she wants to meet my family then she probably likes me a lot but anxiety because my family is, well, my family. Love them as I might, they are still an interesting bunch of people.

As we washed dishes, somehow the conversation turned to media perception of not only Harry but me as well. I thanked her for giving me a chance to prove myself rather than going with the opinion of me that's been provided by the magazines and blogs especially in light of the 'picture scandal.' She made it clear that no one can force an idea of someone for her especially not the media. As for the nudes, she repeated almost verbatim what my dad did – that I was young enough not to know better but Charlie doesn't have that same excuse. Laughing she told me Harry was probably younger than me when he leaked his own nudes so she couldn't judge me even if she wanted to.

We've had moments like that throughout the trip, more or less feeling each other out. She's incredibly kind and sweet – as is the entire family. It's very clear where Harry gets it from.

With the sun setting, I walk outside to take in the sight from this side of the world for the last time, at least for this trip. I really love it here in the UK. Harry says I only love it so much because I'm visiting and don't have to deal with the everyday annoyances of living here but I don't know. If things work out the way I'd like them to I wouldn't mind living here fulltime or at the least part time. I can work from anywhere with a wifi connection and Harry's job takes him all over the world anyway. If and when we have kids I'll need some help at least sometimes and having his family as backup could really come in handy.

I hear the wicker chair beside me sound, attracting my attention. I smile brightly seeing Anne's grinning face.

"Mind if I sit here?" she asks, adjusting her cup of tea in her hands.

I've been babysitting my own cup so long it's probably frozen stiff in the bitter cold of fall in England. Shaking my head, I answer, "Not at all, it's your house after all."

The corners of her mouth raise slightly before she directs her attention to the sunset.

We sit in silence for a time, watching the colors of the sky brighten sharply before slowly fading away. Today is our last day, we leave bright and early tomorrow morning so we can arrive back in LA as soon as possible. Harry has a call time for a movie he's auditioning for and I have to help Damien with some last minute wedding details. He and Taylor are getting hitched soon and although they're not having a wedding party Amita and I have practically been sharing the nonexistent role of Maid of Honor.