+ 36 : Make a wish +

Bitterness overwhelmed (Y/n) at the sight of her old home. It was no different than the day she left.

If her dad wasn't the stubborn man he was, she would've have gone back. But because he is, she had to or else he'd just give her more trouble.

"You'll be fine, I'm here." Childe's words comforted her. Besides her boyfriend; Venti, Barbara, Noelle and Zhongli came to celebrate the girl's birthday too.

"(Y/n)! Our birthday girl!" (Y/n)'s mom was all smiles that afternoon. "And (y/n)'s boyfriend I'm glad we finally get to meet in person. Come on now, let's all head inside."

"Nice to meet you too, (Y/n)'s mom." Childe replies, and everyone enters the house (Y/n) so loathed seeing and remembering.

Her dad sat on the sofa watching the things he'd usually watch back then, there was no difference. Neither did he acknowledge his daughter's presence before him, only responding to the greetings of the friends she brought along. The heavy tension between the father and daughter made them all uncomfortable.

"Lumine and Aether might be here a little later so don't leave too soon alright dear? There's some pizza and cake here for you all." (Y/n)'s mom breaks the silence and sets the food out on the table. A rich chocolate cake with fondant decorations and a few strawberries. There was a single candle in the center too.

"Cakee!" Barbara spoke hungrily.

"Calm down Barbara, (Y/n) still needs to blow the candle." Noelle tells the hyper blonde.

"Miss (Y/n)'s mom is there going to be any wine?" Venti asked while the lady was turned away, grabbing the lighter for the candle.

"Aren't you too young for that?" (Y/n)'s mom turned back around with the lighter. "And no there will be no wine or alcoholic beverages."

Venti pouted, and the candle was lit.

(Y/n) was still looking at it bitterly. How could she be happy celebrating it here.

Her eyes gazed intently at the little flame, and she recalled a time when she was younger.

Overachiever. Straight A's, top of the class, she always pushed herself into doing well. It satisfied her, but it never seemed to satisfy her father who would briefly look at her report card and look away like it was a piece of blank paper.

Everytime she'd hear the stories of her friends recieving gives and being appreciated by their parents for working hard, she began to question if all the time she put into what she did was worth it. If her own satisfaction was enough to suffice the tears she wasted on projects where she had to put all the work in herself.

By highschool she didn't care anymore. Starting to indulge in games while her grades fell beyond short and soon she was kicked out. Neither of her parents bothered to ask her why she did it. Why she changed.

"(Y/n)." Childe's voice called out to her, his hand reached out to take hers and hold it firmly. "Make a wish."

"I'm too old for that." (Y/n)'s eyes dropped to the same old floor she also hated seeing.

"Hold on we need to sing first!" Barbara spoke with high spirits and everyone nodded with agreement.

And they sang cheerfully. All but (Y/n)'s dad who sat alone on the sofa.

(Y/n) continued to stare at the tiny flame, wondering what kind of wish she'd make. She couldn't think of anything. Maybe she was too upset to think straight.

"You're going to pack your things, and get the hell out of my house."

'I'm glad I did.'

"Why? Because you damn failed almost all of your classes and yet you have the audacity to do absolutely nothing at home other than play games on your fucking ps4!"

'You never cared even if I did my best anyway.'

Maybe I should just wish that I've never been-

"Psst, is my future wife doing alright?" Childe asked in a low voice. (Y/n) let a tear fall and she hadn't even noticed.

"Yeah... Yeah I'm fine." She replied. Her mom brought the cake closer to her, and she stared at the candle for a few seconds still undecided on her wish.

I guess... I'll just wish I could buy every game at the store, or something. She thought to herself and blew out the candle.

For a brief moment as the candle went out, she realized she was still standing there with Childe holding onto her hand. He felt close to her heart.

Nevermind, I take that back. I'll wish for a future filled with happiness. A future where he's always with me.

+ make a wish +