Chapter Five~*

1- Jeff

I pace outside the infirmary. The second we had gotten back, Slender had rushed in there and slammed the doors behind him. Over time, a few of the others have come and gone by to see what’s going on but nothing can be seen or heard from inside. Sally sits on the floor with her door open and plays with Charlie but I know that what she’s really doing is watching us.

Us as in Ben, Madison, LJ, EJ, Masky, Hoodie, and, of course, Gold. Ben and Madison have been with me since the beginning but the others slowly trickled by as news spread. Gold was the first to come and he had tears pouring down his cheeks. He now stands firmly by the door, standing so still he would have looked like a statue except for the tears that would come down his face occasionally. Everyone else was sitting around or watching the door, hoping it would open and bear good news.

It was several hours later before the door finally opens. Slender walks out and the first thing I notice is that the mental connection between us has been cut off. Masky and Hoodie tilt their heads curiously to the side, as if trying to listen to a sound they couldn’t hear, and I know then that he’s cut it off from everyone. The next thing I notice is that his hands are covered in blood. The ones who were sitting stand, I freeze in place to look at him and Gold looks at him through red, puffy eyes. Everything falls silent, even Sally, as we await whatever news he brings.

He doesn’t respond for a long time so I break the silence. “Tell us.” I choke out.

Slender clears his throat, even though he doesn’t speak in the same way we do. “She lost the baby. I could not save it. Her womb was already too weak and Jane’s knife completely destroyed it. Jamie will not have another child.”

My heart drops to my stomach. I step back and lean against the wall for support. Gold starts crying harder and everyone just stands there, looking around at each other in shock.

“But what about Jamie?” Gold asks, his voice raspy.

Slender sighs a little. “She is not going to make it.”

It’s silent for a few seconds before Gold lets out a heart wrenching sob and falls to his knees. He clutches at his chest and practically folds in on himself. The others look at each other in confusion and I stand there, shocked. This can’t be happening. CreepyPastas can’t die. Not at the hands of each other. EJ is kneeling beside Gold and is trying to talk to him. Someone is saying something to me but I can’t hear them.

Without thought, I push past everyone and go into the infirmary. Slender calls out to me, tells me not to, but I was never the type to listen to him and that isn’t going to change now. I walk to the only occupied bed and stand by her side in a kind of daze. The sight of her lying on the small bed with her short hair fanned across the pillow and her whole body covered in blood snaps me to my senses.

I grab her hand, which is cold, and press it to my forehead, squeezing to get some kind of reaction from her. There’s nothing. Her chest barely even rises and falls. There’s a small white blanket covering most of her and already I can see blood leaking through the cloth from her stomach. My knees give out beneath me and I slip to the floor, still clutching her hand. A feeling of panic rises up in my chest and I don’t know what to do. Something tugs at my heart and I feel like screaming but I keep it all in.

No one comes in to chase me out so I let out one sound to voice my agony and it sounds to me like the noise a dying animal would make. I squeeze her hand so hard I was sure I’d break it but she didn’t even twitch.

“Please,” I whisper, my voice catching. “Please don’t die.” My plead falls empty in the room. “I wish it were me. You can’t die. This is all my fault.”