Chapter Seventeen~*

1- Jamie

"Jamie's first day of pre-k. . . Your mom must have been a big fan of purple. Although, that shade does not match with the color of your eyes. Pastel purple. What a gross thing on you."

My head pounds and the words slip in and out of focus. I know it's a woman's voice, but I can't quite place it and my eyes refuse to cooperate with me. I try to move my legs but they feel firmly held back by something.

"Why don't you be a doll and fetch your old pal a little something to drink? It'd make your annoying voice sound a little more pleasant." Another woman's voice.

"Jamie's first report card. How sweet. Karly, darling, your voice is absolutely grating. When was your last drink?"

Wait, I know that name. I know that voice. I attempt to move my arms, which seem to be placed over my head but they're pulled roughly back against whatever I'm lying against.

"My last drink was this morning and I've been itching for something to soothe me. Got it? I'm not in a very good mood so I suggest you pick up that pace with it."

A sweet chuckle. "Shh, you're waking her up."

"What are your intentions?"

"I can't tell you that."

Finally, my eyes slowly open. Everything is blurry and it takes me several seconds of blinking for my eyesight to finally adjust to the dark and focus. Something weighs heavily on my head and I realize the hood of my cloak is still up. I also realize that my mask is gone. Across from me, Jane sits facing a chained up Karlyah. It takes a couple seconds too long to realize Jane is flipping through my baby book and holding it in such a way that Karlyah would be able to see it, albeit upside down. I know I should be mad that she was invading my privacy but the drugs in the dart prevent me from thinking much.

I finally manage to say, "My. . . book."

Jane looks up, her masked face turned towards me. In one fluid movement, she jumps up, sets the book on the chair and clasps her hands together in front of her. I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to stop the dizzying twirling and lurching of the world around me. When I open them again, Jane is standing almost right in front of me, her hands on her hips as she contemplates me.

"Would you look at that, the princess is awake." The world tilts on to it's side and I suddenly feel like I'm going to throw up. "Don't worry, the feeling will pass. I do apologize if you're uncomfortable but we had to make sure you'd stay out long enough for us to get you here and chained up. Sadly we gave you the same dosage as Karlyah and apparently it was too much for you but a bit too little for her."

"Hell yeah it was." Karlyah smirked lazily. "I'm sure I gave you a fright when I almost bit your hand off."

Jane covers her wrist, which I now notice has a bloody bandage around it.

I stare at Jane. "Was that . . . My book?"

She nods. "Your mother loved you dearly. What a beautiful woman. However, I did notice that you don't really look like her. Don't you think that's interesting?"

I look down, shaking my head slowly, refusing to accept what Jane is trying to imply. My mother with her blonde-hair, soft blue eyes. Me with my dark hair and deep blue. No. No.

A loud clatter. Across the room, Karlyah is throwing her whole body against the restraints in a threatening manner, baring her teeth at Jane. "Why don't you try insulting her with these restraints off, Jane? You're a weak-minded, pathetic excuse of a woman if you won't even take us head on. Do these chains make you feel safe?"