Chapter Eight~*

1- Gold

I knock hesitantly on the door. It takes a few seconds before a soft voice calls out for me to enter. I pause for a second before slowly opening the door and poking my head in. Jamie sits up on her bed, facing the wall with a plate of food on her lap. Her white bandages stick out against the dark color of her sheets and it causes my heart to pound harder in my chest. I almost lost her again.

"Hey, Jamie," I say as I walk over to her and sit down on the bed. "How are you today?"

She blinks a little and shakes her head a little, as if to pull herself from a daze. "I'm . . . better. Thank you for coming over. You know you don't have to."

I shake my head fiercely, take her hand and squeeze it. "I want to, okay? We've gone over this." Leaning over so that she's forced to look at me, I smile widely. "Okay?"

Jamie looks at me blankly for a second before smiling back. My heart swells a little because, for the first time, it's a genuine smile. I'm tempted to grab her and pull her into a kiss or a hug but I hold back. I sit up, trying to put space between us so I don't do anything stupid. Now that he's gone, it's getting harder to remember that she's still in love with Jeff and will never go for me. For some reason I keep thinking that now that he's gone, she'll miraculously fall in love with me. As if.

"Okay," She says quietly, squeezing my hand back. I didn't realize I was still holding her hand.

My face turns red and I practically jump off the bed. "Alright!" I say cheerfully to make up for the aching in my heart. "Well, I left my laptop here last night so if you want we can watch another movie and I can go downstairs to get some snacks. Does that sound good?"

She looks at me, the smile gone now. "Yeah, that sounds fine. What are we gonna watch?"

"I figured we could decide that after I got back with the snacks." I answer, grabbing my laptop from the dresser and setting it on the bed beside her. "Can you start it up for me while I go grab some snacks?"

Jamie nods and grabs the laptop. "I think I remember how. Yours is so different from other laptops."

I laugh a little. "Yeah, it is. Okay, then I'll be right back."

I'm almost out of the room when I hear her whisper quietly, "Don't take long."

I almost stop but, knowing it's better to pretend I didn't hear, I continue to open the door and walk out. Ever since the accident, Jamie's always said that anytime I leave her side. If I stay away for a long time, she has panic attacks that only stop when someone comes in and sits with her. It's gotten so bad that I've taken up permanent residence in one of the rooms on the thirteenth floor so that I could easily run over when she's having one of her attacks.

I hurry down the stairs, going as quickly as I could without tripping. When I get to the kitchen, I find Slender with Toby and Eyeless Jack. They look up when I come running in and, although I'm sure I look like a wreck, none of them say anything; they all know what it is I'm doing and why I'm there. Toby and EJ look back down at a cookbook laid out on the table but Slender continues to watch me. I ignore him, continuing to go around looking for whatever sweet treats I can find. Lately, Jamie's had a sweet tooth and has practically consumed anything with lots of sugar in it. I'm sure if I wasn't there to stop her, she'd eat from the bag of sugar itself.

After looking through the fridge and all the cabinets, I pile everything I could find on the counter. There's a few bags of chips, a half empty box of cookies, some muffins and a box of cake mix. This is nowhere near enough to satisfy Jamie's sweet tooth.

"Has Jamie finally emptied out our food cabinet?"

I look up and smile sheepishly at Slender. "Yeah, it would seem so."