Chapter Twenty One~

1- Jamie

It isn't hard to sneak out of the trees, especially when you have EJ and Sally with you. If I'd tried to go by myself, a creepypasta would have suddenly made an appearance and taken me back to Slender. But with the two of them, it didn't look like I was trying to run off. Everyone knew EJ by his seemingly close association with Slender and Sally simply because no one could ever really miss her.

It is dark on the other side of the trees but the thicket we come out into is thin enough that we can see the curves of streets intersecting with each other and going off into the distance. We wait until there are no cars around before leaving the trees. As we walk along the road, I take in EJ's and Sally's appearances. EJ is still in the same clothes and same face, just without the mask. For some reason I sort of had expected him to change but then again he does always walk around with a charm on. Sally doesn't change much either, though now she wears clothes more appropriate for the weather.

From what I can see, we come out in one of the much warmer places during winter because it actually feels really nice. It was chilly enough that you didn't need much more than a jacket or sweater. I bring mine closer to my body, enjoying the feeling of being outside of the mansion. Hopefully, nothing goes wrong this time and I'm able to actually enjoy this brief time away.

"What kind of fireworks are we going to see?" Sally asks, walking along between EJ and I.

EJ looks to me for an answer. "The big sparkly one they shoot in the air. We don't have any money to purchase our own so we can just go watch a show."

Sally smiles, grabbing onto EJ's sleeve to keep up. Or probably to try and slow him down. He is moving very fast.

"So where will we find this fireworks show?" He questions, looking at me from the corner of his eye.

"Good question. We'll have to ask. Next convenience store we pass, I'll go in and ask."

He gestures behind us. "We've literally already passed two."

"I know but I wasn't thinking. Next one, I'll ask." I look back, letting the glow of the numerous buildings we've passed tell me where we were.

"I'm not a big fan of it but we'll go in with you in case something goes wrong. Men get too happy when they see a woman by herself."

I almost stop in surprise. For a good chunk of my life, I was almost able to forget the dangers of being a girl and going anywhere alone, especially at night. I never really had to worry because I knew I could take pretty much any mortal human down. But EJ seems to think that since I'm a bit rusty in my fighting that I won't be able to do so. It just seems odd that out of everyone in the mansion, EJ is the one warning me and telling me to be careful.

"I appreciate it but I'm sure I can handle myself. If you want to come in then I can't stop you but have some more faith in me."

"You don't get it, do you? There are some men out there who just don't care, Jamie. They're everywhere. A woman like you can't let your guard down, no matter what."

"A woman like me has already killed several men before, thank you very much."

"But you don't act like it! You're like some damsel in distress. We can't let you out of our eyesight for one minute without you being attacked or kidnapped. I can only imagine what might happen if I let you go into a store by yourself. You'd probably get into a fight or taken again."

"Then why are you here with me if I'm just such a huge burden who always gets into trouble?" I can hear my voice rising.

"I'm more careful than the others. I'm not going to let you run wild. Which is exactly why I'm going in with you."