Chapter Seven~*

1- Jamie

It's been several hours since I first woke up and I still haven't found the motivation to pick myself off the bed. I can't even summon the strength to roll over or straighten my body from its curled position. My stomach rumbles, reminding me that I haven’t eaten in nearly two days. Despite what my stomach tells me, I don’t feel hungry; I just feel empty.

There’s a soft knock on the door. I blink slowly, making no moves to get up or to call out and tell them it’s open. Another knock sounds and still I don’t move. It’s silent for a few seconds before the door slowly creaks open and light from the hall shines in. Though I am facing away from the door, I squeeze my eyes shut because, after being in complete darkness for several hours, my eyes burn at the little light that comes in. My eyes are still closed as someone walks into the bedroom, stopping in the middle of the room. I don’t need to open my eyes to know it’s Slender coming in to check on me.

“Jamie.” There’s a loud burst of static, as if he’s having trouble reaching out to me. “It is two in the afternoon. You need to get up, get outside and eat. You have been in this room for over a week and you have not eaten in almost four days.” Four days. No wonder I was so hungry. “I can hear you still. Get up. I will not baby you anymore.”

I stay silent, still not moving. He doesn’t say anything for a long pause and I almost believe he has left until my blanket is suddenly ripped off my body. My eyes fly open and I look over at Slender. He tosses the blanket across the room, throwing off small waves of irritation. I lay in bed, looking up at him and blinking slowly. We stay like that for a few seconds before he roughly grabs me, causing me to utter a small sound of protest, and carries me out of the room. When we get out into the hall, I have to close my eyes because the light causes my eyes to water up.

Slender carries me over his shoulder down the hall and to the stairs. I debate on fighting back to get into my room but I decide it wasn’t worth the effort; nothing was anymore. He walks quickly down the several flights of stairs, holding tightly onto me in case I try to make a break for it. I lay like a rag doll in his arms as he reaches the first floor and goes out the open front door. When we step outside, he gently sets me down. I stumble a little, my legs no longer accustomed to holding my weight, and grab ahold of Slender’s arm.

It’s late in the evening, with the sun quickly sinking down to hide beneath the tops of the trees. The sky is a riot of orange, pink, purple and red. Already the moon can be seen hanging shyly on the other side of the horizon. Shadows hang off the trees, draping the forest floor in darkness and reaching out to each other to completely take over everything in their dark embrace. I take in everything, having almost forgotten how beautiful a simple sunset can be. In the distance, a pinprick of light catches my attention and I point it out to Slender, looking up at him.

There’s another loud burst of static as he says, “That is for you. The others thought a picnic with them would be a good way for you to both get out of the house and get some food in your system. If you would like some assistance, I will walk with you to the area they had picked out. If you feel you can do it on your own, then just follow the lights through the forest. I shall stay behind and make sure you make it there safely.”

As he was talking, I had looked down to the light in the distance but, when he finishes, I look back up at him. I open my mouth to speak but no words come out at first. I have to swallow hard a few times before I make a sound that can be recognized as speech.“You’re not coming with me?”

They come out slowly and with many pauses but he waits silently for me to finish. When I’m done, he shakes his head and says, “No, it will just be you, Gold, Sally, Mr. Widemouth, and Masky. Though Masky will have to leave and report to me for a mission in a little bit. Another of my proxies will take his place when he leaves.”