Chapter Nine~*

1- Slender

It does not take me long at all to find the house Jeff is in. The fire seems to cast the whole town in its bright light and the screams and laughter that ring out along with the crackle of wood burning catch my attention immediately. The boom of thunder sounds and a stray bolt flashes across the sky. I do not stop to contact Madison, instead choosing to run to the building and hope she finds me. Though when I get there, I see I did not have to worry about Madison at all. She is already there, screaming mine and Jeff's name.

When she sees me, she points at the house and screams at me to save him. I nod and teleport inside the house. I'm met with a wall of flame that was quickly racing down the wall from the top of the house. A high pitched scream and the sound of bones cracking comes down to me and I look up. It doesn't take me long to realize that Jeff and Jane were upstairs so I race up the burning steps, glad that I couldn't feel the fire. I ran through all the rooms, not finding them. It wasn't until a thump and a cold laugh sounded out from above me that I realized they must be in an attic.

Deciding not to waste anymore time, I teleport up there. The fire is stronger up here and blood covers the floor. Jeff stands in front of me, limping towards a figure that stood on the other side of the attic. It takes me a few seconds to recognize that it's Jane without her mask. I reach out to him with my mental link but I can't reach him; the feeling is too strong in him for even my mental powers to get to him.

"You give me way too much credit, Jane. I don't give a shit."

Her face twists in fear and she goes to say something but her eyes land on me. All she gets out is, "You... You..."

"Shh... Go to sleep." Jeff raises his knife and goes to land a fatal blow but the floor beneath us gives a fatal lurch and I throw myself at them, grabbing at random and teleporting out of the house.

I stumble when I land next to Madison and drop what I was holding. Only too late do I realize I grabbed Jane too. Jeff falls from my grip and simply lays on the floor, not moving. Madison kneels next to him, her hands going to his neck to find a pulse. She stays there for several seconds, her eyes getting wider the longer she has to wait. I turn from Jane and focus on Jeff, reaching out to him with my mental connection, only feel to emptiness.

"No..." Madison sobs, her hands moving frantically around his neck, searching for a pulse.

"Madison, it's too-"

"Freeze!" A commanding voice shouts and only then do I hear the sirens.

Madison looks up with wide eyes. I don't even stop to think. I simply grab her and pull her from Jeff's still body, then take off running. A gunshot rings out but it misses.

"Stop moving!" Another voice shouts and I hear them call for backup.

I do not listen, continuing to run with Madison in my arms. "Slender, stop!" she screams, hitting at me. "We left Jeff! He's not dead, he's not dead."

"Madison, he is gone. We must leave."

I run behind a building to get out of the officer's sight and, just as I'm about to teleport, a quiet, weak voice reaches me.

"Slender..."

My body freezes and I look back, just in time to see a policeman round the building and catch a look of me.

"Mother of God..." His mouth drops open.

I jump up the building, running across the top and teleporting away. Madison is screaming loudly and punching me, making it harder for me to concentrate and teleport. I end up teleporting just outside the trees, but I quickly sprint through. I do not stop running until I reach the mansion, where I run inside and and drop Madison on the ground. She immediately gets back up and tries to run out but I grab her with a tentacle and hold her in place. That's when she starts screaming again. She curses and threatens me while kicking and trying to get away from me. Soon, others gather around to see what's going on, like the curious creatures they are.